Beginner to Badass Reviews? šŸŽø

Congrats on finishing @BigBottom

No course 2 sadly, we are trying for mere t-shirts at this point (talkin to you @JoshFossgreen)!

6 Likes

CHNJ

8 Likes

Really appreciate the course, and wish there was a follow-up! Thanks!

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @smerrell

4 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

Welcome @smerrell !

4 Likes

Ayyy! Black tee/hoodie and orange logo, would 100% buy!

3 Likes

Hi, I love this lesson platform , i am about 12 lessons in , is there a way you can add a feature you can turn on or off that automatically checks for completion and moves to the next lesson and keep the screen wideā€¦ its jus because the bass is naturally heavy , and protecting the head stock every time i have to lean for to make the same modification for every lesson. would be such an awesome featureā€¦ just asking because i love your style and platform and as it works well with me i will refer every one i know to this learning programā€¦ please and thank you , sincerely Racquel Brooks

8 Likes

Finally completed the course and feel like I can play an instrument in a way that sounds like actual music for the first time in my life. Iā€™ve tried violin, piano, guitar, and even oboe, and got bored of every single one, never making it past the screech, off tempo mess stage. Part of it might be that I was always a bass player and just didnā€™t know it, but an even bigger part is this course as itā€™s really managed to keep up my motivation. Itā€™s incredibly well designed and Iā€™d recommend it to anyone.

I only have one criticism: We never got to know the tab for the intro that plays at the start of each lesson! Maybe itā€™s a secret message from Josh that we need to learn to transcribe and work it out ourselvesā€¦

Thanks for everything. Maybe Iā€™ll even end up in a band some day!

11 Likes

Hey @racquel.brooks369 ! Lessons already get marked for completion automatically, that checkbox is just for manual overrides as needed.

And staying fullscreen would be a great feature, Iā€™ve made a note and would love to figure that out!

And make sure youā€™re practicing with a strap on, that should hold the bass stable (or at least more stable) so your headstock doesnā€™t break any desk lamps. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hands down this is the best online instruction Iā€™ve ever purchased in any subject. Like many above me have said - Iā€™ve picked up and failed to hold on to quite a few instruments but something just clicked with bass and with Josh. He truly has a gift and Iā€™m so grateful for him finding a way to share it so masterfully with us.

Donā€™t hesitate or read any more reviews - just dive in. You will be encouraged, you will be shocked at your own progress, and youā€™ll never be alone in this wonderful community thatā€™s been built if you ever have questions or need anything.

I canā€™t sing enough praise or express my gratitude properly.
Thank you and good luck!

10 Likes

Wonā€™t be too long - so just finished the course today, took me 25 effective days (during 35 real days) best bang for my bucks all my life, offline/online investments included. @JoshFossgreen is THE man, I truly believe that if all teachers of the Earth would have such skills (knowledge, patience, attitude, humility etc.) then we had a much better world, period.
So thanks again, let me remind you of a few missing promises ( :wink: ):
- BassBuzz t-shirts!!!
- next course (Badass to ā€¦ ?)!!!

I will be ordering either one as soon as available, until I have to redo te course (for fun/practice), learn songs, off to jam with friends (actually tomorrow, canā€™t wait) and read/write the forums here.

Huge thanks again!!!

7 Likes

Breaking Badass.

And, the course is a course, of course, of course.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s the perfect name for it!!! Iā€™m on board with this!

6 Likes

Hey there! Well, i do not really know what to say since i got some mixed feelings, but Iā€™ma try and probably open with my point of view (and an apology for the probably ā€˜broken englishā€™; Itā€™s not my first language, so sry for that):

I finished the course recently in about a month (not too much per day! ;D) after having noodled around on bass for a few months already, watching YT vidā€™s while drinking coffee etc. - back then i thought i should probably invest in some clearly structured lesson material, since i only got the musical theory from my caffeine filled video sessions and no prior lessons or even another instrument played. Well, apparently i had pretty much covered all of the stuff in the b2b course already, then blasted through the course itself and find myself now pretty confused.
I kinda feel that i actually should have learned to play more songs instead of ā€œpulling some open E-strings firstā€ and killing my budget for a looper pedal. This way the course sadly felt to me like an expensive pad on the shoulder and the ā€œmasterlessonsā€ i was looking forward to were quite thin.

Also, i feel like the tab player is not very helpful since after reaching the bottom and end of the page it doesnā€™t skip to a useful place at the beginning of the next page but merely 1 line in (or it doesnt show the line playing at all, my favorite mess up) - so you can only see this exact one line that is playing at the very moment - which doesnā€™t help at all as long as you canā€™t look into the future (hmm i get a spaceballs flashback right hereā€¦ this is NOW- when will it be over?) and especially when you have a crappy memory like me and 1-2 repeats (more like 10-20) just wonā€™t do the job. And apparently due to licence blabla from their side the tabs or note sheets (which iā€™ prefer anyway) to try and compensate for this or use as an alternative are not available anymore.

But i did see how different the course is built in comparison to other lessons offered online and aside from some minor problems in the presentation (like using red & green in the same graphic, sometimes counting the beat but then starting to talk and missing the beat thus causing me to miss the beat as well and stuff like that) it is really well tailored towards total beginners and i can imagine it to be quite motivating too. I would have probably loved it to bits if i had it back when i first tried to learn bass in teenage days -where i got totally frustrated in a few weeks since i found no help or even useful feedback at all - so i couldnā€™t bring order into my learning and thus it felt like a challenge too big for me.

But nowadays me already acquired some learning techniques and felt pretty underchallenged going through this course since it just didnā€™t pick me up. It was a nice change of pace until i found myself only playing 3rdā€™s 5thā€™s and octaves lesson after lesson until the red curtain descended ā€¦ kinda.

So I might be an impatient short-tempered perfectionistic* midlife dirtbag, baby (*did i mention that some tabs seem lazy/wrong?), but atm I am also in lack of a budget and have real trouble getting my money / anything out of this course and lesson material curses again over that tab-playerā€¦ and the lack of drum only tracks.
Anyway, since i know me and that iā€™m sometimes quite blindfolded by my inner whacky demons, I will be using the next few weeks trying to figure what to do with my online access or if i should actually drop it and try to refund.

So yeah in short - this course got me totally confused and feels kinda - not enough - to me, while some parts of the course got way too much time. E.g. I would have loved to practice and learn about more scales and get more information about how to set and change moods in your bassline with intervals/modes. Instead I spent an almost ridiculous amount of time playing on the open E- or A-string.

Iā€™d be happy over hints about how i could get my fun and use out of the provided material. Maybe I canā€™t see the forest for the treesā€¦ or the trees for the forestā€¦ or those arenā€™t trees at all shrugsā€¦ Or maybe Iā€™d actually benefit more by looping my own play, Idk.

*edited because of weird formating error - sry for any further mistakes, but you may keep them ;D

2 Likes

It sounds like this might not have been the course for you. Josh will refund your money. This is a total noob course laying foundations to be built upon. It does that perfectly. You may be better served with a more advanced syllabus like Mark at Talking Bass, SBL, and others offer.

3 Likes

Hi Eddie!
Thanks for your answer - maybe that is the case, as I would totally recommend B2B for that. 'guess I just expected a bit too much, but i also didnā€™t really have anything as comparison.

And Thank you very much for your tipps - Iā€™ll have to check for ā€œSNLā€ since my only connection to those letters right now is Will Ferrell singing 50ā€™s rock songs in the 80ā€™sā€¦ But I think Mark from Talking Bass actually introduced me to the gallop already, very much to the dismay of my hands and any fans of Iron Maiden in listening range :'D

Iā€™ll be thinking about the refund option and check for other options. It is a nice course, so before that Iā€™ll also double check the exercises for stuff I might need further down the road, as I still am very much a beginner indeed x) Yet, so far i feel like I might be alrdy able to just go and look for what i want to learn in songs of my choice for a while; The easier ones that is. still shrugs

1 Like

Sorry, SBLā€¦ Scottā€™s Bass Lessons

Thanks for the near instant response!
Well, no reason not to look for some more SNLā€¦ ;D
Ah yeah, Scottā€™s Bass Lessons, I remember it as being - ā€˜not my kind of teaā€™
But Thanks again!

3 Likes

Hey @B_Alex ! Thanks for the feedback. Does sound like the course is basically not a good fit for your level - if you decide you want a refund just reach out here and weā€™re happy to help.

And as for your specific feedback, you raised a lot of good points that I plan on addressing in future updates! (the red/green thing, getting previews of whatā€™s coming next with tab, etc.)

7 Likes