Beginning on bass: Pick or Fingers?

There are iconic bassists for each.

I use mostly fingerstyle but will probably move to pick, i have trigger finger on my right hand and need surgery, in the meantime my middle finger is next to useless for playing.

4 Likes

After trying both, I am definitely a pick player.

4 Likes

Welcome @Necrotype !

2 Likes

Like I need another reason to buy more bassesā€¦

:smiley:

4 Likes

Welcome @Necrotype

2 Likes

Started with fingers. Itā€™s easier for a beginner because you can have more focus on the fretboard. Also fingers to me feel more natural

2 Likes

Then you would really hate blugrass banjo :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve played guitar for many years with a pick. Bass, too, back in the day.

I dedicated myself to playing fingerstyle guitar years ago.

I always wanted to learn bass finger plucking because thatā€™s how the music I love to listen to is played. Josh made it a breeze.

I still play with a pick when a particular tune requires it, but itā€™s sure not my fave way to play.

2 Likes

I bet I would :rofl:

1 Like

I was a guitarist first for 50+ years, when I started Bass, I started with a Pick, and now I am learning finger method, but I really prefer with a pick.
For me I donā€™t think is really matters, be comfortable, thatā€™s it.
Donā€™t compare yourself yo anyone,
be you and Enjoy!

5 Likes

I played with fingers only for about a year and a half. Have now started to try to work into a pic. I force myself to play every third song with a pic and it wasnā€™t very fun at first, but after a couple of weeks Iā€™m actually able to get around on the strings and do what I want. Just keep after it, it does get better with time.

3 Likes

Fingers.

Josh said so.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve played with a pick on guitar exclusivly for years, but when I transitioned to bass, I learned to play with my fingers. I will use a pick if it fits the song, bout for the most part, I prefer the sound I get with my fingers.

5 Likes

Welcome @abqblue !

1 Like

Start with your fingers, itā€™s much less frustrating.

3 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

I play bass finger style. I find it easier, despite being well used to a pick on guitar. When I first tried a bass it felt weird/different for about five minutes, and then felt right to me almost like flipping a switch. I personally feel it looks cooler as well, but maybe donā€™t take that into consideration lol.

I have messed around with pick on bass, and I fully realize there are situations where that may be a better choice. I echo advice from others, learn both, or at least experiment with both. Then youā€™re ready for any situation.

2 Likes

Same for me :smiley:
I do think it is good advice, though, even if, like me, you are strongly drawn to playing with a pick, because all my favourite bass players play with a pick.

Just go through the course like Josh suggests, but nothing keeps you from already messing around with a pick away from the course, that is what I did, I think around Module 3 I started to learn Zombie from the Cranberries, with a pick.

Finger style for me has a bit the malus of being ā€œpretentiousā€. Because so many times peoplesay ā€œreal bass players play with their fingersā€. Which is just crap. Play with whatever you like.

5 Likes