Best home amp/cab setup money can buy?

Sound choice. Make sure you let us know what you think of it when it arrives. I think it will pair well with your new bass too.

1 Like

yeah, yeah, that is what i was trying to talk myself out of!
I think that will be a ‘down the line’ have if/when i ever decide to play out.
Call this a ‘smart choice gap filler’, haha.

3 Likes

I’m kidding of course…but not really!

2 Likes

LOL, I solved my latency problem. While Reaper was using ASIO and had no problems with latency at all, all of my standalone apps - amp sims, the Darkglass sim, etc - were still using Windows Audio.

Switching them to ASIO too gives acceptable latency, even with USB2, and even with a relatively high sample buffer (which it isn’t using anyway) for live use.

No surprise, but I was wondering what was up, and how I had no recording latency but the things were so bad with the standalone apps.

4 Likes

Here is an example of a SVT plugin (plugin alliance has ANY plugin for $30 deal today if you guys are interested. Grabbed the SVT that is usually $149)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1htTeJMkPLEd9WwMXRY_hoqlErfppK4Vc/view?usp=drivesdk

I swear if you recorded one in the studio it would have same tone!

2 Likes

It’s true. Amp sims are as good or better than the real thing at this point.

except the 800RB plugin dammit! it’s the official one too.

I’m having a hard time finding a GK sim I like. Audified’s GK Amplification 2 demo didn’t do it for me - sounded way muddy through the cabsim.

Wow. The SVT-VR sounds really good. I think I still like Kuassa Cerberus’ tube sound a little better but the SVT-VR sim is super solid, definitely recommended too - I bought it.

Here’s a comparison:

Without amp sim (level is lower as the amp sims are all adding a bit):

Kuassa Cerberus:

SVT-VR into EQ’d 8x10s:

No amp sim, into a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes Ultra sim with the distortion turned off, into its built-in cab sim:

I love how the VMT on its own sounds just awesome into a cabsim, better than many of the amps out there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

800RB was on sale few days earlier, I grabbed it for 30$.

2 Likes

maybe it will go back on sale tomorrow then :slight_smile:

But wouldn’t that mean that it’s failing at being a sim?

Just joking. I know what you mean.

3 Likes

hah good point :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I guess I’ll throw my hat in the ring. I now pretty much exclusively use my 6i6 DAI with Ableton and Reason with studio monitors because I live in suburbia. But, nothing beats pushing air. If I go to a studio to play with other people I take my Trace Elliot 600W head with my Trace 2x10"+ h/f horn and a Labsystems 15". All frequencies covered and tons of headroom to squash that annoying guitar…Why did he turn up? I’m thinking the drummer and I had it covered anyway…

4 Likes

That’s one interesting point indeed. The sims I prefer are not always the more realistic ones, I can like a sim with its own flavor, like the Bass POD Pro I always use (which is a primitive modeling preamp, not very realistic, but with a pronounced personnality).

Also the «better than the real amp» thing can relate to the fact than an actual amp can be hard to mic/record. A sim can likely be better to a poorly miced amp.

Also some sims are at the same time very good and very realistic. yes, X3, I’m looking at you.

3 Likes

Yeah. Like I think that SVT-VR sounds more like a SVT than Cerberus, but I think I like Cerberus better. Even though it’s not an exact amp model.

2 Likes

Amp just arrived and updated firmware etc.
I don’t see a Rockin Peg, I do see a “Basic SVT”.

I also went to the download area and see a Rockin Peg CH and a Rocking Peg Rockbass, is it one of those?

1 Like

Ah nevermind, when you select Basic SVT, the name “inside the name” is “Rockin Peg”…for some reason.

Anyway, VERY COOL, my day is now shot trying every single thing on this amp!

3 Likes

Using the app is much faster than fiddling with the onscreen. With so many combinations of amps/cabs/pedals I ended up adding only a few to My Favorites to keep the list manageable. The Gallien-Krueger 800RB amp sound is also good (KGB800). Was not aware of this amp till @howard mentioned the plugin above

1 Like

it took about 3 seconds to realize i would never see the top of the amp again.
Don’t need a single thing on there

3 Likes

So turns out I have a bum Studio 40.
It connects to the Bluetooth app ‘when it feels like’, and I am questioning the tone out of a lot of the sims via the speakers (sounds fine via the USB/XLR into Focusrite/Abelton). After working with Fender they are replacing it. They were confused because they say that they have very few problems with these.

I took the grill cover off and noticed the added highs tweeter horn was covered in some sort of dirty/crud that does not wipe off with your finger. 3 strikes means there has got to be something going on here.

In the amp sims, sometimes they sound good through the speaker, sometimes not, even on the same sim.

Looking forward to the replacement. Ugh.

2 Likes

Shit to hear… Sounds like you got a (faulty) used product. Sometimes consumers just f*ck it up and send it back without the shop even checking what’s wrong with it. This happened to me twice. Hopefully your next one will be fine. Good luck!

1 Like