Best upgrades for a Players P Bass?

i still havenā€™t installed the tex-mex pups in my strat, that i bought in feb 2020 :joy:

Itā€™s always ā€œi just want to record some stuff before i change themā€ and then i never get around to that. Like my flat wound strings that i bought months ago and havenā€™t put on my pbass yet :laughing:

Iā€™d rather spend my time playing, the other stuff isnā€™t that important to me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:joy:

The old Alan Entwistles surprised me

And thereā€™s better ones apparently with neodymium magnets :thinking: Lol

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say that itā€™s an issue necessarily - but I hadnā€™t played bass in a long time and I wasnā€™t sure if thatā€™s an issue with p basses specifically or all basses.

Again, Iā€™ve only noticed this when sitting lol

It seems that people update the bridge only for sustain, not necessarily for the added mass.

ONE thing that I just canā€™t stand is how cheap-looking the Pau Ferro board looks. It feels fine but as I have a black p bass, the neck looks almost pale.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that IF I get new pups, they will be a vintage style pup.

Iā€™m not looking to have crazy-cutting tone, but that growl will always appeal to me.

I donā€™t think I need overly hot pups for that?

1 Like

I LOVE the Pau ferro neck :joy: my bass is orange and I like the grain and light brown shade :slightly_smiling_face: It has a weird rough texture to it when itā€™s new but it gets smoother the more you play it; mine also got a bit darker. You can dye/stain the fretboard darker too.

2 Likes

Iā€™m definitely dying it lol

BUT I could see why it would look great with the orange colourway!

1 Like

DiMarzio DP122 Model P is the way to go like @howard says. Itā€™s got great tone and a great rock/metal pup. I put one in my Player mustang

1 Like

Dye? Maybe some oil will darken it up.

I donā€™t know why Fender has a problem with Pau Ferro. Iā€™ve had Pau Ferro fingerboards from ESP that looked like rosewood.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the strangest part - Iā€™ve seen Pau Ferro with other brands, and theyā€™re beautiful!

Darker, cool grain running through it.

The cuts that Fender makes (chooses?) are SO dull.

1 Like

Itā€™s wood, you can blame the trees :smile:

1 Like

I would say cheap. I donā€™t get it. It wouldnā€™t add any cost to fix it in manufacturing

I got a Mustang with a laurel board that was light and I just used a lot of finger ease on it and it looks fine now

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Love my Pau Ferro fretboard. It looks and feels like Rosewood.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s beautiful!

I think the inlays and the binding help a lot!

Not to mention that beautiful body wow.

2 Likes