Best value base bass to upgrade

Sure I’ll do that when I get home.

3 Likes

Here you go.

5 Likes

Thank you, much appreciated!
Looks like a typical modern C. I was hoping it would be a bit thicker.

3 Likes

Thanks for th Jag lesson, spread over the Squire and Fender Series.
Thats the start I need.
Some day, I will deep dive into Fender / Squire and start to know the differences based on year, series, reissue year, etc… in reverence to the necks on them, and the pick ups used (if non fender) and pick up type and placement.

But thatnks again for clearing it up for me with the Jag’s.

Can’e wait to see how your mod yours. I love that Blue it comes in, it is amazing.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I ended up buying the EMG Geezer PJ set to install in my Squier Affinity PJ bass. The only issue I’m having is that the input jack that EMG supply is far too short for the Squier. I think the jack they’ve included (on the left in the photo) was intended to go on the control panel rather that into the body of the bass. Part of the attraction of the EMG set up was the ability to plug and play, so I don’t really want to have to pull that apart and solder it to the original input jack. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a possible solution to this issue? Cheers

3 Likes

I would call EMG and see if they have a replacement jack.

Do you have any friends who can solder? You should be able to wire everything up and only need to solder two wires to the jack.

5 Likes

Thanks for that. I’m in Australia so we only have limited EMG products here, that I can see. I’ll have a snoop around though. I can solder, it’s just that I didn’t want to go down that route if I didn’t have to. looks to be the simplest solution though I guess. While I have you - there were three black wires from the old electronics (see photo). I think I can safely remove the two with the screws, but the third one is coming from deep within the bass body - is this something I need to keep and solder to something (the input jack). Bit confused about what that was (it’s a passive bass, no battery). Cheers

2 Likes

2 Likes

Awesome, I’d best keep it then :wink:. Thanks for posting this.

2 Likes

The third wire (top right) should be the ground wire the runs to the bridge. This needs to be inserted into the bridge ground connecter as in page 3 of your instructions.

Looking at page 3 it also states you have to solder to your long jack, and shows the solder points

For reference https://www.emgpickups.com/pub/media/Mageants/g/z/gzr_pjhz_instructions_0230-0281rf.pdf

3 Likes

That is awesome, thank you very much. It is also a good lesson for me to completely finish reading the instructions before I dive into panic mode. Cheers :+1:

3 Likes

I like to check out the instructions before I buy the pickup; EMG has them all on their site, and sometimes there are options. EMG provides clear instructions.

One thing EMG does not provide is foam or pickup screw springs which you will need so you can adjust the pickup height. Something like this which I got from Amazon, don’t know your options

2 Likes

do you have a brand to recommend for those necks ?

4 Likes

Great, thanks I’ll check it out. One thing I did read was that the packaging foam doubles as foam to raise the pick up. It does seem that there are pre-cut pieces for this, however no springs. I think the original Affinity control knobs are too small for the EMG pots they include so will need to enlarge the cavities on the knobs too.

3 Likes

Sorry I forgot about the knobs. You can buy replacement knobs cheap

3 Likes

Sweet, thanks for all your help today :+1:

3 Likes

Anytime. I’ve put EMG pickups in two basses and glad to pass along the help I’ve had in the past

3 Likes

Fender MIM of course.

1 Like

Had the same issue with my upgrade. I soldered the cables to the original input jack. I also used the foam and springs of the Squier pups as EMG doesn’t include any.

The knobs I used as a replacement are those:

1 Like