Best value base bass to upgrade

I agree. Of these two, the QPs are definitely my choice.

3 Likes

I really think you have have shown me my ā€œsomeday when I am goodā€ bassā€¦ Now to figure out how I can hear oneā€¦

2 Likes

By my estimation thatā€™s somewhere around module 12. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Congrats @DaveT. Now the fun begins. What color did you get again? Let me know if you want any nudged one way or the other with pickups. Iā€™m thinking about this combo on my new acquisition.

Inspired by you project, as if I donā€™t already have a few line up myself, I picked up a Jaguar short scale last night while simultaneously texting with @T_dub. The seri voice command and speak is very impressive.

Not sure yet what I want to do with this one but so far Iā€™m impressed with the look and feel. It has a very early sign of fret sprout but nothing serious yet. The muscle memory tells me black and gold but Iā€™ll see.

5 Likes

Is it a Dimarzio dp296 pick up (the precision one)? What do you think about it? The bass look awesome :smiley:

2 Likes

Nice!

Itā€™s the black. This one . . .
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassAffIBLK--squier-affinity-series-precision-bass-pj-black-with-indian-laurel-fingerboard

Iā€™m happy to hear pickup suggestions. I suspect that will be the item that gets experimented with the most on this one. Right now I tend to dominate with the P pickup and dial up the J until I can get the maximum texture interaction between them. I like grainy.

4 Likes

I did put some EMG GZR in my Affinity. It needed some minor routing for the J pickup and soldering for the output jack.
Thereā€™s no cavity shielding, only pickguard, so you could consider adding some (which I didnā€™t). I didnā€™t notice any issues with noise though.

3 Likes

Routing and soldering no problem. Iā€™ll do some shielding then when I open the compartment the first time, why not.

I have some copper garden slug tape I bought on Scamazon to make a cell phone blackout case. It didnā€™t work, lol. I have no idea why. Maybe it just has one micron of copper on it or something, but I need to figure this out before putting in the bass. I did, however, find a blackout electronics case with a really thin fabric. I may cut up another one and put that in there.

3 Likes

I put the EMG Geezer on my P bass, it really came out well. I have ordered the EMG PJ set along with the BTC control set for my JAG.

Here is a review of all the EMG PJ sets except the Geezer

3 Likes

Seymour Duncan also has some nice options, but the ESP Surveyor is a bass on my bucket list, and it came out with a retro finish. Iā€™m thinking on that; itā€™s got Seymour Duncanā€™s which is why I went with EMG for the Jag

4 Likes

Yeah, the surveyor looks great. Iā€™d love to get my hands on one for a try.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the Billy Sheehan relentless it comes in 2 or 3 color I think. Itā€™s a freaking great pickup design. On that aerodyne I actually used the soderless EMG for both pickup, just have to do some creative splicing it it works really well.

The jazz bridge pick is a custom order with passive jazz in a riptide metal cover.

2 Likes

Would be great to get photos of the upgrade as we go along. Iā€™ve ordered EMG Geezers for my Affinity PJ and will prob add a new bridge for starters, just working out what bridge - was looking at the Omega, anyone have experience with these?

2 Likes

That is a thing of beauty!!

4 Likes

Iā€™ll start a thread for it and post sound samples of the Squire out of the box before changing it.

2 Likes

Thanks, I put the aerodyne neck back on it already. Need the fretless neck on another bass.

1 Like

It didnt happen if there is no photo evidence :rofl: :rofl:

Unless you posted picture in another thread, but I have not gottento it yet???

2 Likes

Lol. Here you go

6 Likes

Nice. I like that they do matching headstock on the Jaguar.
Looks like the one I had, but mine was a 34ā€ scale.

It was the Squire Vintage Modifird Jaguar.
I domt know when they changed from ā€œVintage Modifiedā€ to ā€œClassic Vibeā€. But I like the Vintage modified a bit better then the Classic Vibeā€¦

I dont recall all the differences, but mostly look and comtrol kno s.

Also, idk if they still do a 30ā€ Jag still. May have stopped when they went Classic Vibe.
They may have done a 32ā€ one in one of those series, but IDK for sure.

I dont know very much about the Fender years and models, and Squire models and years. IDK it at all really, so mostly speculation.

I know Stingrays, EBMM and SBMM pretty good, but not Fender /Squire.

Maybe that will be my next topic to tackle?

3 Likes

Squier Affinity Jaguar H has 32" scale, MM style humbucker, tone and volume for controls

Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar has a 30" scale, PJ, and tone/volume/volume for controls.

Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar has a 32" scale, PJ, and two stacked tone/volume for controls, one for each pickup

Fender Player Jaguar has 34" scale, PJ, and Tone/Volume/Volume for controls.

The Wombat Custom Jaguar Noire will have 34" scale, ebony fretboard, EMG PJ active pickups, EMG BTC control system with 2 way EQ, Blend, and Volume for controls.

Fender Troy Sanders sig Jaguar has 34" scale, PJ, thumbwheel for bass boost/cut, thumbwheel for treble boost/cut, blend/volume for knobs

Jags in a nutshell. My build just a bonus :slight_smile:

5 Likes