Best Way To Keep Strings from Clacking on the Fretboard When Playing?

Thanks everyone, I’ll keep an eye on it. Let’s see what happens!

6 Likes

It sounds like you might be describing what is usually called “fret buzz”… like a quick loudish rattle when either not pressing down close enough to the fret / not pressing down hard enough / or lifting your finger off the fret too slowly (there are other factors but these seem to be common)

• If that’s not quite what your describing then ignore what I write below and maybe try to describe it in another way to make it clearer if you like?

• If that DOES sound like what you’re describing, then honestly don’t worry too much about it. I’m still fairly new myself and I’ve noticed it’s something that literally improves over time as you get more comfortable with playing. The good thing for early on is to be aware of what it is you’re doing that causes it so you can at least have it in your head that it’s something you can gradually correct as you go on.

A good bit of advice if you’re in the B2B course is to read the comments for each video and you’ll be surprised how many people ask about it, and how many times Josh has written out a new, human response to each one :slight_smile:
Muting is something that will likely take a longer time to get right so definitely keep trying but don’t let it frustrate you if you don’t nail it every time yet :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@renouf thanks! I will keep an eye for this. Thank you for the explanation.

6 Likes

The term he used, “clacking” led me to believe he was referring to the clacking sound when the strings hit the fret. I didn’t take it to mean fret buzz, but if that’s what he’s getting, you’re advice is valid.

6 Likes

And you may indeed be right @PamPurrs in which case you’ve likely already hit the nail on the head! I like to try and cover all bases if it helps :slight_smile:
When I was starting up I found some things hard to research or ask for the right thing as I didn’t know any of the common terms yet… similarly while I love using onomatopoeia to explain sounds other people might not imagine that word to mean the same thing to them :joy:

8 Likes

@PamPurrs @renouf it may be both. There is a slight clacking when I fret. If I relax and go very slowly with less pressure, this subsides. I think as I practice more, I am more aware of things like this and my mistakes.

I also do get the fret buzz but that is definitely 100% on me at this point.

7 Likes

It can be tough to not approach things with a bit of perfectionism some times, I definitely get frustrated by mistakes initially but as long as you’re recognising them you’re on your way to fixing them!

You’ve just said a key thing there and it’s also what a number of people in this community will tell you (and have told me!), playing reallyyy slowly will allow you to not only pick up on your mistakes or quirks but will also help you see/hear/feel what you might be doing wrong to start working out how you might remedy it.

Keep up the practise and keep asking questions! I know I will be… :smiley:

6 Likes

Try turning your amp up a bit so you don’t need to dig in with your fingers for volume. Dig in when you are looking for that bit of clank for effect/character. This was a good tip posted in another thread about finding a good tone, but could also help here.

6 Likes

I will be honest, I think because my fret hand is so bad, I may be coming down on the strings with my fret hand too Farr and fast to compensate for the weakness I have in it.

I am going to try to go slow and gentle and observe what I am doing as I am doing it and record myself every three days or so.

Also, while I love my Sterling SUB 4 HH, I think I am going to look for something a little lighter for when the back and hands aren’t running so well.

Looking at Squier - anyone have any feedback on the Affinity Jazz or PJ lines?

3 Likes

I’ve just bought a Squier classic vibe 60s Mustang which should be here on Friday. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Also my Ibanez SR weighs in around the 8lbs mark and feels very light over my shoulder

3 Likes

@Mac oddly enough, I have been looking at the Squier Limited Edition 70’s Precision model and after seeing a ton of videos on that line, it sounds like it may be the lightweight version I will use when the back and hand are all in a huff.

3 Likes

Cool @architecht13
I nearly came home with one of those when I was looking at MIM Fenders

2 Likes

@Mac gonna see how it feels tomorrow. Maybe I have a friend for the Sterling.

3 Likes

It took me a while to find this ('cause it is buried somewhere deep in the “wrong” thread), but I posted a little video a while back where I have a similar issue.

I am overdoing it slightly here, but is this the same kind of clanking/clacking that you also experience? If so, it is really almost unavoidable, but also only heard by you at home, playing at low volume, and shouldn’t be heard much beyond that.

Still, proper technique can minimized these extraneous noises, but they will probably never go away entirely. Here is something related that @T_dub had shared a while ago:

All that said, this “extra noises” can also be used as effects or part of your personal style!

5 Likes

If I’m playing relatively slow I don’t experience any clacking but if I’m attempting to rock out with Steve Harris etc etc I’ve got a herd of elephants stampeding up and down the fretboard.
I’m sure as @joergkutter amongst others has said it could be a volume as in my case I’m playing so it doesn’t bug my neighbours

4 Likes

This might be helpful too? Or at least entertaining?
We had a thread on muting:

5 Likes

At the risk of side-tracking from the original ‘technique’ aspect of the topic…
I’d like to say don’t rush into trying to find another bass, BUT if you’re not comfortable then there’s certainly no harm in looking and testing others if you have a store anywhere near you!

I started with a Sterling Sub Ray4 too, think mine was a bit cheaper than your HH model, beautiful looking thing in the ruby burst. Thought I’d found the one until the active electronics crapped out almost immediately, so returned it and did some more scouting. I now have a Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar (same price), it was the first time I held a bass that felt so natural and I haven’t looked back! It’s also medium scale (32") which could prove helpful for some people :slight_smile:

Ibanez GSR200, SR300 and others in that similar range also have really comfortable necks, bit narrower which, again, could be helpful for some.

Testing some other basses of different shapes, sizes, fret types, might be really helpful as for all you know the issue could be a mix of technique with the gear, or might help you determine which it is more of. A little bit of trial and error will be worth it, you want to feel happy with your instrument(s) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All very good information everyone! When I’ve had some time after work later, I will dig into all of it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I like the Steve Harris type clacking. Adds to the character of his playing. I wish I could clack as fast as he does.

1 Like

I had some annoying clanking noises and some fret buzz on my 5st when i first got it but I eventually realized that I don’t hear them when I play with headphones or in recordings.

1 Like