Best Way To Keep Strings from Clacking on the Fretboard When Playing?

At the risk of side-tracking from the original ‘technique’ aspect of the topic…
I’d like to say don’t rush into trying to find another bass, BUT if you’re not comfortable then there’s certainly no harm in looking and testing others if you have a store anywhere near you!

I started with a Sterling Sub Ray4 too, think mine was a bit cheaper than your HH model, beautiful looking thing in the ruby burst. Thought I’d found the one until the active electronics crapped out almost immediately, so returned it and did some more scouting. I now have a Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar (same price), it was the first time I held a bass that felt so natural and I haven’t looked back! It’s also medium scale (32") which could prove helpful for some people :slight_smile:

Ibanez GSR200, SR300 and others in that similar range also have really comfortable necks, bit narrower which, again, could be helpful for some.

Testing some other basses of different shapes, sizes, fret types, might be really helpful as for all you know the issue could be a mix of technique with the gear, or might help you determine which it is more of. A little bit of trial and error will be worth it, you want to feel happy with your instrument(s) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All very good information everyone! When I’ve had some time after work later, I will dig into all of it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I like the Steve Harris type clacking. Adds to the character of his playing. I wish I could clack as fast as he does.

1 Like

I had some annoying clanking noises and some fret buzz on my 5st when i first got it but I eventually realized that I don’t hear them when I play with headphones or in recordings.

1 Like