Billie Jean fretting tips, tricks or hacks?

I found that the fingering that Josh recommends makes Billie Jean a lot easier, although it felt awkward at first. Try practicing very slowly, focusing on always using the correct fingers.

The C# notes (4th fret on the A string) are tricky because sometimes they are played with the pinky and at other times they are played with the ring finger. I found it beneficial to pay extra attention to those.

You might find it a bit easier to play the riff further up the neck at first.

Josh isn’t kidding when he says that Billie Jean is a surge in difficulty. I’d definitely encourage you to carry on with the course even if you can’t do the slow workout. Come back to Billie Jean later on, once your hands are stronger and more stretchy.

4 Likes

You, sir, or rather your beloved, are the first one I have seen to identify it correctly.
@tamaraster came close when she mentioned Velvet Underground, but of course Warhol was the source.

edit: we are still waiting on @JoshFossgreen to give us the background story.

Kudos.

4 Likes

@peterhuppertz we just need to peal back the skin on @JoshFossgreen 's banana and see indeed if there is a naked …
Jamie
:guitar: :rofl: :guitar:

2 Likes

I will leave that banana skin right where it is.

4 Likes

I swear I saw a single word in bold letters on his forearm as well, below the banana on the inside. Any clues?

2 Likes

This is the closest I got: So that's how the world knows Josh! - #9 by juli0r
I don’t think he’ll ever reveal the story behind the tat. And if he does I’ll just keep wondering if it’s the real story :smiley:

So since I’m currently practicing billy jean on fast and had 2 basses to compare:
I still fumble sometimes in the fast speed but I got the medium speed down so this is where I’m at. I’m managing but it could be better.

(sorry for the whatsapp sound in the second video & the low volume overall)
It’s the last one on my Super BadAss checklist that I haven’t checked off. I’m not sure I would with my performance. Maybe practice it a little bit more.

Also: oh my god pinky! Where are you going? To France? Stay close! Damnit!

10 Likes

@juli0r brilliant man, that’s great.
Jamie
:guitar: :star_struck: :guitar:

1 Like

You can see it pretty well on some of the vids. Not gonna spoil the fun :wink:

4 Likes

I am hella impressed! Floating thumb and all! WTG MY DUDE!

4 Likes

In appreciation of you doing that, I will upload a video with the same once I get home and warmed up, deal?

SHOW YOUR BILLIE J!

2 Likes

Thanks :slight_smile: I’m sure you’ll be there sooner than you think!

Not to take away from your compliment but what I do is resting thumb and floating thumb is a different technique. I just change the string where I rest my thumb as you should :wink:

Yes! The only thing that worried me a bit about my videos was that beginners could be intimitaded so I am very relieved that you are offering that. Only thing is: time zones - have to go to sleep soon. But I am really interested! Also it will be a good thing to have something recorded for you to look back on and recognize your progress later.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I think all of us need to be able to have an anchor point to look back at. After all, its not Badass to Badderass, right?

3 Likes

So, @juli0r I got a little bit ahead of myself.

As promised, I recorded my play through after warming up. It certainly went better than yesterday, but its not something I can post.

You see, I spent the bank on guitar, strap, gig bag, instructional game (Yousician) and then real instructional learning through B2B. Thats about where I had to stop. No amp, not even a cable.

Everything I recorded looks like someone struggling to play air bass, only with a bass.

3 Likes

Looks and sounds really good, @juli0r!! Fairly relaxed, too!

But, yes, the next thing to focus on could be to keep all your fingers closer to the fretboard (“economy of motion”).

3 Likes

Very cleanly played!

3 Likes

I did not want to say anything because I thought it would be good for you to try anyway. I remember the first time I wanted to record something. I think I gave up at take 100 or so but it was good practice anyway because it forced me to play cleaner than usual.

Aw. The not even a cable part is a shame because if you had at least that you could try to directly plug your bass into line in of your computer. I have made a summary about recording hardware options but if you don’t have a cable sadly even the low cost option isn’t for you.

Fully agreed.

Huh. Maybe I’ll should listen to the “we are our worst critics” and deserve to check it off the list!? :wink:

3 Likes

@101 Dave there is no rush, and you have the main bit of kit, I have one of these headphone amps .Amazon.co.uk

4 Likes

Very nice, @juli0r . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Thanks homie. That is really cool! Didn’t even know such a thing existed. I need it!

4 Likes

Mh. Even If your bank is empty you might want to have a look at the bassbuzz video about gadgets on YouTube. The vox headphone amp is mentioned and recommended. Josh also mentions that he didn’t like most other headphone amps.

3 Likes