me, today:

‘oh crap - this is the bille jean lesson i keep reading about.’
‘oh ok this is not so bad’
‘wait it’s not just those first 4 notes?’
‘wait we change down a string halfway through?’
‘wait you want me to do this HOW fast?’
‘wait that was the SLOW workout?’

then i had a bourbon.

i do think as mentioned on another thread that using a slow metronome is my next step - great idea. now i need my bourbon to wear off.

11 Likes

Impressive!

Edit: lol that was posted 2 months ago :joy::+1:

2 Likes

Told you so :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Slowing any unfamiliar song down and doing it bar by bar is how a lot of us do it.
Just try that lesson and move on but do come back to it later until you can play at least the slow version.
All the Best, :+1:

2 Likes

I was happy with my progress until I hit Billie Jean. But, a couple hours spent with practice, and now it (mostly) works. A good choice for a challenge song, I think.

4 Likes

Every day I am coming closer to my second anniversary of my first tackle with Billie Jean and I still need to slow down to get it right (kinda) sometimes :rofl:

4 Likes

Figured I’d join in and explain how I’m tackling this challenge.

I got the fast track down (a playthrough without mistakes) repeating the lesson through grinding the muscle memory, but when I played it without the music I just couldn’t figure out why it didn’t sound right.

Then I thought it’s not really an eighth count, it’s more like DO du du du Do du du du as sixteenths. I tossed it in guitar pro and played along and picked it up like that a lot faster.

While I’m still continuing the course I added Billie Jean to my to-do list as a part of “Songs” and I changed the tab up a little bit based off my guitar teacher’s ear.

Since it’s a little tougher on the fingering, I alternate the bass notes (1 count) with a 60bpm drum track and add the sixteenths in when I’m feeling in time. I took this challenge way out of the lesson, but it’s doing wonders for criticizing my left hand technique!

(I deleted post a min ago because of a mistake in tab)

2 Likes

Good on ya @wrxloaf !

If you need tabs check the 50 First Songs Pack. @JoshFossgreen and @Gio went through and verified every note from scratch. Billie Jean is in there. Every note from beginning to end.

1 Like

Great resource! I think I need to beat my pinky into submission to really get going though. My biggest barrier right now is getting the “octave shape” beaten into being “comfortable” rather than micro-shifting or thinking about my pinky behind close to the fret line.

Watching all of the lessons and many other covers nothing is more apparent than the casual left hand using all four fingers relaxed. Envy!

2 Likes

Check this out. There is a synth bass and electric bass played together in the original track:

https://youtu.be/YDDr6BtrOUQ?t=709

PS.
The whole video well worth watching :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Beat me to it by one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahaha well this is a fun plot twist for “Hearing it.” Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Wow, so glad I found this thread. Thought I was doing pretty good until hit this and wanted to quit when I heard the fast tempo lol. Was wondering if I should move on and keep coming back and it sounds like that’s a legit option. Will read through the entire thread for advice when I have time. Thanks!

7 Likes

Surprisingly, I got through BJ without a hiccup. But it is perfectly okay to move forward and come back. You will be surprised at how easily you can play it then. My nemesis (and still is kinda) is “Some Kind of Wonderful”. And the tab for it shows it should be super easy, but I warn you, it ain’t. But I keep plugging away at it and am getting better and cleaner each time I take a shot at it. Like anything, it just takes time and patience. Before you know it, you will be playing whatever you want to play with no problems.

4 Likes

After starting Beginner to Badass as an absolute beginner on bass three weeks ago, I worked through all of the lessons completely until I met Billie Jean yesterday. As I have heard here, I found out that Billie Jean is definitely a challenge.

However, this is a good thing. The first three modules felt relatively easy with a bit of effort and practice. In fact, in some ways the slow workouts on these modules felt like they were too slow. When I started the fourth module, it felt like things were starting to ramp up a bit. Sort of a prelude to what I was soon about to face when I met Billie Jean. Suddenly, the slow workout felt too fast.

I became aware of some technique weaknesses. I also was thankful for the improvements I have made so far. Josh’s @JoshFossgreen reminders to keep using your pinky finger on previous lessons are worthwhile. (I have a matched set of crooked, broken pinky fingers from my days competing in gymnastics. I wasn’t sure if they would work on bass, but Josh is right and they have gotten stronger and more comfortable though playing and practice.)

Even so, the slow workout still felt too fast. This experience reminded me of one of the education classes I took prior to earning my teaching credential. In that class I experienced not getting something at all in a math problem after previously having most math come pretty easily to me. I learned about what it felt like to be a frustrated student. This was one of the best things to ever have happened to me. I eventually figured it out. I also made sure to remember how this experience felt. Learning how to learn as a challenged student transformed me into a better teacher.

Now I feel like I have returned to a similar situation. I looked for help by reading through hundreds of comments in both the lesson and the slow workout. I also have gone through other Billie Jean threads and arrived here.

Here are some of the helpful hints and advice I appreciated:

• It is okay to do a finger roll with the pinky.
  • Start alternate plucking with the middle finger
  • Slow down the video if it feels too fast (I tried this today. The 75% speed was easier and almost doable. The 50% actually was doable and even pretty entertaining having what sounded like a really drunk Josh teaching me.)
  • A reminder to keep up the independent alternate fingering. (I found myself sort of matching the index fingers on each hand as well as match my pinky and middle finger in kind of a rocking or synchronized swaying motion to play this. I’ll need to stay aware of this as I continue to revisit Billie Jean and go on with other lessons.)

Yesterday was a wakeup call and a challenge. I felt frustration, but I went back today and tried it again. It felt a little better and I know I still have a long way to go. I just started the fifth module and as I go on, I’ll keep checking back with Billie Jean to work through this challenge using patience and persistence., while accepting advice and assistance.

Thanks for listening and I’ll keep coming back for any additional tips.

10 Likes

Good for you @StevFargan!

It’s a challenge, but not one that’s beyond you. :sunglasses::+1:

5 Likes

@eric.kiser Thank you for the encouraging words.

4 Likes

Good attitude and good plan @StevFargan

4 Likes

Thank you @PamPurrs

4 Likes