Blend pot : how and why?

Thanks. My thinking was, since it’s a 500k MN, that means 250k per side; with the 500k volume pot I thought that would pair well. Of course both will be at 0 and 0 ohms most of the time.

1 Like

no, a 500k MN is 500k per side

2 Likes

Oh! hmm. I’ll have to see how it sounds rolled each way with the volume rolled off.

in fact it’s not exactly true because you have a ground wired on the other side of the pot (symetrical for each side) so the effective resistor will be 0 ohm regarding the output of the blend pot, but the pickup still sees a load of 500k. this load is in parallel with the master volume, which makes an effective load of 250k, which is a bit low. with a 1M master volume pot, you would have an effective load of 333k (still not very high).

2 Likes

Hmm. Should I get the 250k instead?

no, you should not go lower than 500k in my opinion

1 Like

ok, got it. I’ll grab a 1M linear for the volume then. And thanks again!

1 Like

you’re welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm, having a hard time finding a 1M with a metric shaft online here. I think this thing needs an 8mm threaded diameter and not 3/8" - I don’t think it is drilled for that.

Also, what’s the trick to popping off these Gibson style knobs? :rofl:

Might hold off on the blend for now until I can track down a suitable volume pot.

edit: got the knob off and it’s definitely an 8mm shaft/hole. Gonna need to hunt for a 1M linear, M8, non-Bourns pot.

1 Like