Books on Bass Setup and Maintenance

I know that today we can find a lot on the internet about this topic. Call me old school, but I would like to read an illustrated book on how to setup and maintain guitars, including the bass.

Is anybody aware of any decent book on this topic?

Thank you!

3 Likes

While a picture worth a thousand words, a video worth at least ten thousands.

On the topic it’s best to view how’s it done. Also, it’s no one person can make you click with the concept, a collection of point of view would be the best way to learn how to setup. Although I found Josh’s video hit most of the fundamental.

Experienced player skips many of the mistakes they make along the way. We, the novices, may need a bit more dos and don’ts than the straight shots to success.

3 Likes

Video is the best medium for learning how to set up your bass.

Check this out.

2 Likes

It’s really not a complicated enough process to warrant an entire book. Maybe a pamphlet.

3 Likes

If you really really want a book then Dan Erelwine is the guy.

2 Likes

Yeah, he would be a good choice. But really when it comes to setups, it’s not a deep or complex topic.

1 Like

And of course like in many things in life, the more you do it, the better you get at that.

1 Like

Thank you Mike, super useful indeed.

2 Likes

I hope so, Howard. Right now I am kind of intimidated by the process, as I am afraid of breaking something.

2 Likes

That makes sense. Still, as a beginner I feel I want to start on the right foot, so I am trying to learn all I can, and probably I am spending more than I should on maintenance tools. I hope that eventually this is going to pay off.

2 Likes

Watch the videos in that thread @Rob150 starting with Josh’s. Most of us here learned the same way. Watch video and then set up our own basses.

If you’re patient it’s not difficult.

2 Likes

Will do, thanks Barney.

1 Like

Aside from a few specific hex for your bridge adjustments you can probably do most fixes with a few household tools you have if your kung fu is good, for the rest of us a quality specialty single function tools from StewMac is the easiest thing to use.

2 Likes

You literally need no tools other than a screwdriver and the allen wrenches that came with the bass.

2 Likes

Hello! Not sure if anyone mentioned these before but I really like the Sketchy Setup (e-)books written (and drawn!) by Gerry Hayes at hazeguitars. Lovely little works in my opinion. First time I actually post something here, hope it helps :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Thank you, I will sure check them out.