Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive mod

I will never attempt anything like this… not even close! But I like to hear and read about these endeavours from people who know what they are doing :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

it’s really easier than what you may think, @joergkutter ! in this case at least :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Well, I had sweat running down my back when replacing the pots in my P-copy with a pre-wired, no-soldering(!) replacement harness :joy:

6 Likes

it must be some kind of phobia
:joy:

5 Likes

Great job @terb! Thanks for posting this. You do nice work.

3 Likes

I was looking for a reason to try some pedal mods…I’ve been kicking it around since I started watching the JHS Pedals channel on YouTube.

Had no idea about the LEDs either. I would think that if you went to a Schottky, that’d really have a difference in the sound. You’re looking at a forward voltage of 500 mV versus the LED forward voltage of around 1.5 V.

Definitely going to find one and try this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

great, it would be cool to have your opinion after you do the mod.

you’re right about the Schottky diodes, they would bring a very early clipping.

1 Like

If anyone wants some detail on diodes and clipping for effects etc:

4 Likes

yeah @Mark_UK , thank you very much for this addon. it’s great to say that the LED voltage drop change depending on the LED color, that’s another way of fine-tuning.

2 Likes

if you want to listen to the modded ODB-3, here it is.

2 Likes

I think it sounds great now. Definitely much much better.

2 Likes

I have just found a really cheap and a bit out of shape (only aesthetically if the seller is to believe) ODB-3 which I am going to go get this evening…

I can’t wait to start playing with it since it will be my very first analog pedal (after Zoom B1 Four)

I will definetely take a look at these mods @terb, I believe we have most of the components already at or lab!

3 Likes

yeah @Fahri it’s a very easy mod with very few components, I really recommend giving it a try !

3 Likes

Hello,

very interested to mod my ODB-3 to reduce noise, how is this best done?
w w w .youtube.com/watch?v=HkiTRKBygZE watched this and love the mod, an ideas how to replicate this? Is art as simple as changing the LEDs to an orange colour??!!

Thanks

it’s hardly possible on such a pedal, without changing its tone. it’s all about component choice and placement, so on a PCB-mounted pedal with a proper shielding, the short answer is that you could consider choosing another pedal than the ODB-3.

I watched the video. obviously if you want to replicate a mod, you need to know what is the mod exactly, which means find the schematic and/or instructions about how to do the mod, like I did on the first post of this thread.

In this case it would have been pretty easy to find those informations : in the comments of the video, you can read that it’s the Wampler Mod, which happen to be exactly the schematic that I describe in the first post of this thread.

Here is an extract of the Brian Wampler’s book, if you want to compare :

it is true that the color of the LEDs change the sound. that’s because each color is physically made in a different way, and has slightly different electrical behavior. but obviously the mod is not ONLY about the LEDs. the LEDs are just a (very minor) part of the mod. In the Wampler Mod, the diode change is optional. I tested various LEDs and I personnally prefer the stock red ones, but that’s a matter of taste and use.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply!!!

1 Like

…well this has piqued my interest. As has the possibility of making a small board with several switch-selectable options for sounds. :thinking:

Also, I find it hilarious a pedal for dirtying a sound is named ODB

Ol’ Dirty Bassdrive :rofl:

1 Like

And now YouTube just served this video up o.O

A video about a eurorack distortion module that comes with diodes and resistors to swap out for different sounds o.O

1 Like

sorry im not very familiar with the lingo, what do you mean by “the pots are not very progresssive”?

1 Like

the pots are acting kinda “on/off” with a single sweet spot, I don’t feel the pots travel is very gradual.

2 Likes