A string way louder? (brand new to this so be kind)

A-hah! Yes, that could be the problem as well. I think itā€™s important to get all strings at an even volume. Then you can decide if you think all strings are too loud or not loud enough, and adjust the pickup(s) accordingly.

1 Like

Here is mine what do you think

3 Likes

Has it been properly set up?
This (btw) does not happen generally when you buy a new bass from a big box store or Sweetwater.
There are several steps in setting up a bass properly.
It is not hard, but takes patience and a bit of learning.
Could be the pickup height, could be the string height.
String hieght, truss rod adjustment, intonation adjustment are all related and should be done correctly otherwise one thing may throw the other off.
It sounds scary but I promise you it isnā€™t.

I think you mentioned it is fairly new, which tells me it might need its first setup.

Here is a good thread listing a few different methods (no one method is THE method btw)

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Split P style pickups are often angled from the factory to match the curve of the strings. I agree adjusting the screw seems to be in order. Been there, both as a beginner and as a victim of this particular issue. All part of the process.

Ask anything you like, weā€™re a friendly bunch around here.

1 Like

@mschubert2 Are you doing the B2B course?

Also make sure you drop in to the Introduce Yourself topic.
Here is a link.

Have fun on the journey. :+1:

1 Like

A resounding recommendation for a pro setup, especially if you are brand new to the bass.

As others have said, doing a DIY setup isnā€™t all that difficult, but you do need to know what youā€™re doing first.

There are lots of great videos out there created by longtime pros, but you need to study, learn and practice in order to do it well and with confidence. Hmmm, sounds like something else that requires study, learning and practice. If only there were a beginner to badass resource out thereā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

So a bass isnā€™t really just a thing you play. There are some processes to ready them for play, and some minor maintenance stuff. All of these guys are on point.
If you donā€™t feel comfortable with doing this stuff, maybe go to a luthier or your local music resource store? Typically a professional setup isnā€™t terribly expensive. And it puts the bass into a very playable state.
Being a beginner is hard enough. Playing on an instrument that isnā€™t functioning correctly makes it harder.

A lot of techs will set action specifically for you, primarily for strength of attack.
They will also do intonation settings so your instrument is in tune with itself.

So if youā€™re good with minor maintenance, there are a lot of resources online. If you got a small fee handy, a pro setup may be a really good start to learning to play.
Best of luck!

1 Like

Yes I am doing the B2B. Course

3 Likes

Iā€™ve decided to get a professional setup, it would drive me crazy not knowing it was set up properly. Hopefully I will be Able to watch and learn

4 Likes

Good answer on dropping that cash. Josh gonna have you vibrating the walls down.

Another good answer! You, sir are on a roll! Believe me, for the minimal layout of funds itā€™s totally worth it to get a setup. I think youā€™ll find it was the right choice.

1 Like

Fantastic decision! I hope you can get the chance to watch and ask questions.

1 Like

Fantastic. Youā€™re gonna love it.

Try not to overthink things and above all have Fun :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Another great choice.
Just make sure the luthier knows what you expect of the setup.

There are a lot of threads in this forum re doing your own setup.
I suggest you take a look at them when you are ready.
Just a thought.

You are already on your way to success in playing the Bass, just watch out for the rabbit holes that can distract you from practicing because practicing is the main key to learning to play the Bass. All you need is the Bass, Amp of some description, and lots of time. There is time enough for lots of the side adventures once you are finished the course. All the fundamentals you need are included in the B2B course. IMHO

Oh, and a word of advice on the course, when you get to the lesson on Billie Jean just go through it and if you canā€™t do even the slow workout, guess what, weā€™ve all been there. She is a bitch. Just move on, but keep coming back and trying it every now and again. Youā€™ll get it in the end. :slightly_smiling_face:

Let us know how you make out with your setup and Good Luck. :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I would like to second this. Thereā€™s lots of rabbit holes in this hobby, Iā€™m as guilty as the next guy in chasing down them, but you have a bass, and an amp. Your sound will benefit more from practice than any piece of gear. Donā€™t chase the tone rabbit until youā€™re ready. Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

These guys are on point. They give good advice. Fundamentals. All of the building blocks to being a well versed player are here.

And they didnā€™t cost a ton.

There is a chance that you are the next les claypool, or Victor wooten ( add incredible bass players ad infinitum here) but the basic principles taught here are where that startsā€¦

Good luck on your journey. And Billie Jean isnā€™t just a meanie, sheā€™ll also learn you something

1 Like

Going to a professional for your first setup is not a bad idea. If you go that route Iā€™d echo the advice above to go to a real professional (a luthier) and not some randos at Guitar Center.

But really, settting up your bass is not only very easy, but is what I would consider to be a mandatory skill. You should learn how to do it as soon as possible. A setup is not a one-and-done event; you will want/need to adjust the setup occasionally over the life of the instrument. I end up making small tweaks to mine monthly or more often.

I think there is a lot of fear and trepidation around doing your own first setup, and itā€™s really unfortunate. Itā€™s very easy, you donā€™t need any tools beyond a screwdriver and the allen wrenches that came with the bass, and it takes about 15 minutes tops.

2 Likes

All very good and encouraging advice I appreciate it. Iā€™m starting this adventure rather early in lifešŸ˜‚ iā€™m 65. The excitement I have about getting good enough to play with someone else is driving me hard to practice hard. It not like I have a decade to learn.

4 Likes

Itā€™s only too late if you never start. You got this.:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like