Buying a decent bass online and "unseen" - any advice?

I have purchased two basses from Guiter Center (sight unseen and never tested), and have been pleased with both of them. I went strictly by the reviews and recommendations from people I trust, many of them on this forum. Guitar Center has a stellar return policy, so I was confident in making the purchase.
With that said, I may not have had the same level of confidence if purchasing from a small business or private party, particularly in the higher price ranges mentioned in the original post.

4 Likes

Thanks @PamPurrs (BABG). I’m, uh, my friend is getting more confident about this.

3 Likes

Great advice from above, if it’s from GC, they’re good about customer satisfaction, but if it’s from a private seller off of Reverb or another online marketplace, just use some caution, especially on a sight unseen. Every seller is different, feel them out.

I love all the “friends” on here that GAS out, and, you know, we must help our friends. 3 of my buddies (Me, Myself, and I) are always coming to me for advice - I seem to have to put the brakes on their GAS, but their intentions are good :joy:

6 Likes

I know what you mean, @Vik . . . we really MUST help them out :wink:

{ahem}

4 Likes

Well “my friend” pulled the trigger and ordered a new Hofner Ignition Series Beatle Bass from Guitar Center online. It should arrive in about a week.
Thanks again to everyone for all the help!

6 Likes

Congrats, @JerryP . . . :slight_smile:

Now you have something positive to look forward to!

Post up some pics on Show Us Your Basses when you get it.

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Will do!

3 Likes

OK, here is an update on the Hofner bass. It’s a long story so I’ll make it as short as possible. Even though the website said the item was in stock, it wasn’t. When I called customer service (very helpful btw) they said the nearest warehouse was out of stock but they had two in their west coast warehouse. I agreed to have them send one of those across the country to NJ. Today I got an email from an employee in the Joliet IL store saying that they were going to ship one that they had but it would not be in the original packaging. I asked if it had all the original documentation and/or tools. They said no, that it was a floor model and did I still want it. I agonized enough over this purchase, being site/tried unseen, but there was no way I would accept a floor model without seeing it. I cancelled the order and told them I would re-order when they received new stock sometime in June. Maybe by then the stores will be open and I can try one in person.

7 Likes

That’s what I would have done had I been in your place, @JerryP

Hang in there and get exactly what you want :+1:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

I’d ask them if the floor model still has a warranty and if so, ask them to knock 33% off the price and see what they say.

6 Likes

That’s a real bummer, @JerryP - I would definitely try the strategy that @howard suggested. Nothing to lose here, all to gain!!

4 Likes

They did say it had a full warranty but I’m still a little skittish about it. I’m going to research other online stores and see if it’s available.
More fun to follow…

2 Likes

Okay…
Every major music store I could look up is out of stock on this item so I went back to GC and re-ordered it to be delivered when they arrive sometime mid-June. Amazon had a few, but they are $100 more than I am paying at GC, plus I’m not comfortable with Amazon and musical instruments.
There’s the story. To be continued in June, I guess.

4 Likes

Has anyone had any experience buying online from Sam Ash music?

2 Likes

I haven’t, yet. Mainly because I have a Guitar Center right across the street from me. I’ve gone to their stores and talked to their people. If they had what I wanted at a price I liked I wouldn’t have any hesitation to buy from them.

I would double check their return policy. Guitar Center lets you return online orders to a local store and has upped their return policy from 45 days to 180 days. Being able to return things locally (when they open back up) is pretty nice since you can avoid return shipping costs.

3 Likes

Yes, the 180 days to return locally led me to just order a used Ibanez SR300 from GC yesterday.

I would be almost certain that Sam Ash would probably to the same, or similar, being in competition with GC, and hurting for business just like GC and others are during “The days of covid “

1 Like

According to the website, it’s a 45 day return policy either by mail or any store. GC has a longer policy. I’m looking at SA because they claim on their website that the Hofner I’d like to get in in stock and ready to ship. (GC’s site says the same thing.) Sam Ash has been around since I was a kid so I’m not that worried. I haven’t seen anyone mention them on the forum so I was curious.
I’m going to call them and get the specifics.

2 Likes

GC thecniaclly lists 45 days on the website and app.
With a note stating that because of extended shipping times, they are extending the return policy.

I had to “chat” with a CS rep online to get the 180 day number.

I bet you find the same at Sam Ash.

Plus, you know what you want, I was buying used. And push come to shove, they have to accept a return beyond 45 days if they are closed during that whole 45 days.

I am sure you will be fine

2 Likes

I just got off the phone with Sam Ash and they had one left in stock. Hopefully it will ship today.
Stay tuned!

4 Likes

Congrats!
What was their return policy in the days of Covid?

Possibly we will both get our new axes on the same day??
I was told 3-5 days to arrive.

2 Likes