Buying a short scale Bass

First off, awesome profile pic. 2ndly, LOL. Same for me but G&Ls are rarely found here in India and I had pandemic-induced unemployment (win-win!).

nice :+1:

1 Like

Sorry to here about the unemployment, but no bad news ends with a new MFD. My first bass was an L2K.

1 Like

The trick to stay tune is having fresh or recent strings.

2 Likes

My shorties have old strings on ‘em. Got no prob keeping them in tune.

1 Like

Fresh new strings are somewhat difficult to stay in tune, they require proper installation that stretch the strings before tuning to minimize constant tuning. You also need to apply proper break of (for the lack of a better word) kink to the strings starting from the tuning peg to the nut and saddle. Not only you get better tone you’d also get better tuning stability.

2 Likes

I agree.

Never had tuning problem with mine, probably better tuner peg.
Mike

1 Like

I just clean and set up my new bass and I snapped a few pics. This I found to be main cause to most of the tuning stability I find on most bass I worked on. The movement and separation of the inner wire and the wound. I bend them and cut right after the bend to create a small angle before installation.

3 Likes

If was going to bet any money on why a guitar / bass wasn’t staying in tune. It would as @Al1885 said, the nut. The Bridge is a fixed point so there’s not much to go wrong there, the tuners then wind the string tighter through the nut and around the post.

It could be the string is slipping on the post or the tuner is defective but the most likely candidate in my experience and all the times you watch guitar tech stuff on YT it’s the nut that needs a little bit of work.

If the string can freely move through the nut slot and has enough break angle behind the nut it’ll be stable for tuning.

Putting on new strings probably won’t fix a poorly cut nut or a badly wound string.

3 Likes

Awww nuts!

3 Likes