Buying gear safely online?

I’ve bought eight basses online, with zero issues: one from Sweetwater, one from Sound Pure, two from Pitbull Audio (superb vendor!), two from Thomann, and one from a vendor in The Netherlands. The eighth bass I bought was used, from a guy on literally the other side of the world from me (New Zealand!)

I returned the one from Sweetwater and the one from Sound Pure, again, with zero issues or problems.

If you buy from a solid online vendor like the ones listed above, you might have to pay return shipping, but you get to try a bass in the comfort of your own space for anywhere from 30-45 days, depending on the vendor.

I’m not suggesting you should try this approach, but it is a viable option, if you carefully research the instrument you’re looking for and you buy from a bona fide online vendor.

2 Likes

Zero issues with new and used gear. Just don’t fall for the good to be true trick.

3 Likes

If you know enough about what you’re buying it’s not as likely you’ll end up with something that’s fake plus the stuff he’s talking about is higher end gear and usually something more rare or exotic.

Buying used via a dealer is a good way to go but I’ve also bought on Reverb with no problem. They will protect buyers against fraud but it’s also up to the buyer to know if he has been defrauded.

The best protection overall is to become more knowledgeable about the gear you’re looking to buy and also learn to lean on those who have more experience. Get photos and ask for help. The other most important thing to learn is if the deal sounds to good to be true it probably is a fake or damaged in some way photos don’t reveal.

Another good way to go about it to check local CL and FBMP ads. That way you can see, feel, and play what you’re looking to but first. Happy hunting.

2 Likes

In general, online bass guitar buying is pretty safe. Buying used bass online is not a risky deal either as long as you do a little homework.

I’ll skip the big box store as they are as legit as it can be. Buying used non reverb and/ or especially ebay just have to be aware of the “too good to be true” price. I make a habit of not buying the cheapest item on the listing unless I have time to research on that particular item.

Don’t get me wrong there are tons of great deals but usually you’d find in the local OfferUp or Craigslist type of listing where some rare occasions someone just doesn’t what she/ he has and or underestimates the value. I came across a few of those deals. It just took a lot of research.

3 Likes

I’ve bought a ton of used instruments online from individuals and never had a problem.

3 Likes

I’ve got some genuine steals, buying preloved. I’ve bought basses via eBay and Facebook Marketplace and have not regretted it at all. You just need to do your research first and know what you are looking at. I put together a pedal board over the last month. Everything was second hand and I think I have saved about 60% on retail…there is a certain satisfaction in that!

5 Likes

It’s so true. I’ve mellowed out but I used to feel like I failed if I had to buy new :rofl:

That said - the original post was absolutely right. There is no substitute for trying an instrument out in person before buying. Everything else is a risk (that you simply won’t gel with the instrument) and pales in comparison.

I strongly advise doing this where possible. At minimum, try another instrument of the same type in a store first.

4 Likes

The only bass I bought unseen was my Steinberger, that was via eBay. I figured that if I don’t like it, I would be able to sell it for what I paid for it…

Two of the pedals I out unseen, they turned out ok though.

For everything else, I’ve gone to the seller’s house. I’ve sold three basses, but I’ve insisted in a f2f handovers, to ensure the buyer is happy!

2 Likes

Good idea! I met one girl I bought from in person and checked it out, that was fun actually. I think she was surprised I was American :rofl:

4 Likes

Is she a fan of Tokyo Vice? :joy:

1 Like

It wasn’t like that :rofl:

2 Likes

I don’t know if that scam video is all correct. I’ve never had a problem with paypal. To buy flatwounds is a 6 hour round trip if the drawbridge is down, Longer otherwise, I do a lot of mail order stuff, even regular goods. Swain’s General Store only has so much stuff which is all we got in town.

Things I do

• I have a PO box so I never give out my home address
  • I try and use brick and mortar stores on Reverb and not private owners
  • Sweetwater, Chicago Music Exchange, and Thomann’s are good. So is Muscian’s Friend and Guitar Center, same merchant
  • In Japan, Ikebe is good
  • If someone contacts you about suspicious activity, hang up and call the banks number directly. Banks don’t call you on this stuff, they’ll lock your account and send you a text
  • I bought a bass for under $800 usd last year that goes for $1700ish. I called them up and asked about it and got a satisfactory answer. Phones are your friend
  • I have never had a problem with PayPal. They ship only to my default address, can’t be changed, and I have two factor authentication so I have to verify all purchases before they go through. And I get a text every time there’s a transaction on my account.

Paying for gas with a credit card is more risky to be honest

4 Likes

This happens in a lot of catagories, saxes too, ebay too, and same thing.
Scammers are everywhere, know what you are buying and who you are buying from.
Ask questions, talk on the phone, etc.
I have never bought a dud or been scammed.
“Buyer Beware” has been around a long long time.

2 Likes

I’ve had a few people say Sweetwater is a great place when buying new or used online. Reverb too. I think when the time comes and I decide on a higher end bass I will search within the distance I’m
willing to travel first. Online second. Still new to playing bass so I have not bought any pedals, extras, yet. Like I said, I already dealt with Sweetater a few times, no issues. Great service. The best advice obviously when it comes down to a instrument or even a amp, buyer beware, do some homework.

1 Like

I’ve purchased bass guitars and other instruments over the past 3-4 years from Gear4Music a UK based company but they also ship to Norway from Germany and Sweden. Also Evenstad Musikk an online store in Southern Norway and had no problems. I tend to go with known brands, recommendations and read reviews first. Fortunately no issues with guitar or bass setups either - all been good out of the box. Not sure I would ever go to an actual music store to buy anything. Far too shy and my skill level too low to feel comfortable around arrogant pushy young salesmen! Joking apart I’m sure some are very nice and would probably be helpful and not judgemental :slight_smile: I did buy a ukulele stand from a shop in Oslo and that went fine!

2 Likes

i got my squier from proaudiostar and it was fine - they also took an exchange as the first one came with a big divot in the body from shipping, no problem.

2 Likes

I’m in the U.S. I’ve recently been fixated on the old Yamaha SBV basses (fond of the shelby blue) but the ones I see for sale either on Reverb or eBay are from sellers in Japan. and I do see an Australian seller as well. Yes, the scams from the trogley video are a concern. There is a seller of one here in Fla. it’s red (ugh) and the price is a bit more then I’d like to pay. So I’m hesitant to go any further for an overseas purchase, at this point. I believe we have a member here who lives in Japan, @howard is it? Perhaps some advice from his point of view?

As far as other online dealings, I’ve purchased gear from eBay, Reverb, (U.S based sellers) Sweetwater, GC, Pro Audio Star, and a few smaller online shops, for strings mostly, and never had any issues with the gear or with the few returns I had.

3 Likes

The SBV’s are top notch. I owned a Shelby Blue SBV-550 and now own a SBV-800MF. Fantastic basses, very high quality and they sound great - really good pickups in them. In fact they are the best sounding pickups I have owned, including some very nice aftermarket ones.

As for advice on buying from Japan, I made a whole thread about it.

https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/quick-guide-to-buying-mij-instruments-from-japan

I have seen SBV’s used in some of the stores in that thread (Shimokura in particular) but they are rare; I usually buy them used on Mercari.

There’s a tip in that thread about a broker here who will find, buy and ship for you as well.

4 Likes

Thanks for that @howard. I’d forgotten about that thread ( I even posted something in it :rofl:) I will consider the broker idea though.

2 Likes

Incoming from the crazy: I have a much better and longer term sales experience online or on the phone. Ask the question that tests their reality score. Then bond for a few days. Then ask if they are willing to send back and forth using return policy until you are in love. It is like going to a store and trying gear hanging on the wall…cept u can have phone music with hawt sales person. I get emails from my cutie pie experiences. Never used return so far.