Buzz when lifting off string

Hi All,

Any ideas on how I can minimize the fret buzz when I lift off strings? It doesn’t happen all the time but seems to happen most frequently on the E string (and others) or when I am trying to quickly lift off and back on the fret. Example, with Billie Jean I get a lot of buzz when lifting off.

Is it just a matter of technique. It happens on multiple basses so I don’t think it is a setup issue.

4 Likes

Recently someone asked almost the same question. Look at this thread for information about the topic.

3 Likes

Trying scrubbing your hands before you play. It may be the string sticking to the oil residue on your fingers. Just a thought.

4 Likes

ohh thank you

4 Likes

thanks I will try scrubbing them

4 Likes

Generally I think this is technique though. You want to lift your fingers in a way that your finger is still kind of resting on the string to mute it as it comes up. Playing fast this can be hard.

7 Likes

Thank you. It’s only been 3 weeks so still not terrible.

3 Likes

Yep…what Howard said, when I started learning this song I found the best thing to do was to really use my right hand muting because going from the C# to the F# I use the flat of my finger and it was hard to provide the required muting with the left hand. By muting with the right hand it was difficult to have my hand in the right position to use gallop picking or the thumb and finger picking so I’m using faux picking which is just pinching my finger and thumb together like I’m holding a pick but I’m not. I could just as easily be holding a pick but I really don’t like the tone, maybe I just haven’t found the right pick material. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

I’ve only been playing for about 3 months, so don’t take this too seriously, but for me when this happens it is mostly a matter of timing. It’s not that I need to pick my finger up more quietly, it’s that I need to do it at the same time as I play the next note, and not sort of in a space all by itself.

This is one of those things where, if you care about it and you listen, you’ll get better, possibly without knowing why.

5 Likes

Yup!

I’ve had the same problem, primarily at the low frets. My string action is really low. I suspect lends to more buzzing if one isn’t more careful.

4 Likes