3 Likes

I went big… big Cali.
TX-L with the Lundahl transformer.

4 Likes

Damn, nice! That is a keeper

2 Likes

Nice, I idly looked at a vintage one of those on Reverb……gulp

2 Likes

Delivered today but not home yet to fiddle. Can’t wait!

1 Like

You know it’s serious when the serial number is stamped

2 Likes

All I can say is wow.
Simple. Straightforward, so easy to dial in ans sounds great great great.
My new view of a compressor pedal is simple is best. I can actually see never turning it off.

2 Likes

To me, five knobs to fiddle with doesn’t seem simple… I’d prefer a compressor with one knob that says “compress”, lol.

I was reading this article the other day, and I must say I understand the various controls a little bit better now:

Maybe you can tell us how you dialed in yours in a bit more detail? I’d sure appreciate it!

2 Likes

Pretty much one of the best “vintage” compressors out there. There is one available near me for about 1000 euros, but I am investing in my guitar hobby right now :see_no_evil:

Also I like how Gregor talks about two different types of compressors. You got the subtle ones and the ones that colour your tone. To me the Cali is the first while my Boss BC-1X was the latter. That’s why you can pretty much keep the Cali always on. Same goes for the Empress.

You have to consider that this is also an investment. IMO music gear seems to hold his value well over the years (even in the digital age). It seems to me that this kind of analog gear is much more appealing for collectors.

2 Likes

Agree. They’ve only done two runs of this. The original and one reissue in ‘19-‘20. The reissue sold for $800 retail and already have gone up. Banking on them not doing any more any time soon, but I can’t see selling it until I call it quits or scale down when I’m older etc.

2 Likes

The main reason I got this is that it works exactly like the plug-in I use based on same compressor.

Input determines amount of compression, I shoot for a -5 to -10 range to simply even out plucking/picking. Output dials signal back to level when bypassed. Ratio is simple, leave at 4.
Attack and release - honestly, this is where I’m still learning a bit. I fiddle until I like what I hear and leave it, but this is where your playing style and what you want out of it come into play. Def a subtle compressor.

3 Likes

We have a few threads on this forum about compressors. I counted at least 3 on this topic so wasn’t sure which one to link. :sweat_smile:

Most fancy compressors work with an input, output, blend, ratio and attack & release setting.

The TC spectracomp is an awesome one knob solution which uses an algorithm for ratio, attack and release. You can get other flavours by using the Toneprint setting which is really cool (can even use it as a limiter). I would even say the TC one is perhaps the most beginner friendly comp to start with imo.

3 Likes

I find the confusion comes in where each company wants to put there “spin” on a compressor to differentiate it. Since it is more difficult to detect subtle tone qualities by the average bear, they sell on features instead. I don’t need a lot of features cause I barely know what I’m doing with it. I just know how to dial this one in from using the plug-in and that’s good enough for me. Is it overkill for me? Yup. But it’s an investment too, so - win win.

3 Likes

Just looking at the hyperluminal. I had to look it up how it works lol. Got a bit confused with the labels.

They might as well label time as ‘attack/release’ and compression as ‘input/comp’. :man_shrugging:t2:

My cali also has one attack/release knob which does the job for me since I always follow the fast attack slow release rule anyway. But I do prefer to have this as two separate controls (which is the original Cali).

1 Like

Thanks @John_E and @Paul for taking the time to explain this.

2 Likes

Hi Team. I’m looking around for a bass-dedicated compressor on the cheap, but one that will give me some time and ability to learn. I have an MXR M-102 Dyna-comp, but that’s more of a guitar compressor and it doesn’t play so nice with my bass. I will be posting it in the gear it forward thread.

Anyhow, two watchwords: price and noticeable effect.

I was thinking about this:

or this

I’d appreciate any help or advice. I’d prefer to buy used, but there’s SFA available within 60 miles.

1 Like

Cheap?
Find one of these used I’d say.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KBass--keeley-bassist-limiting-amplifier-bass-compressor-pedal?mrkgadid=1000000&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gdsa&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=studio&recording&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=39700065013197403&lid=39700065013197403&ds_s_kwgid=58700007232174981&device=m&network=g&matchtype=&adpos=largenumber&locationid=9004257&creative=537361853712&targetid=aud-297527862170:dsa-1385849816810&campaignid=6730319008&awsearchcpc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxIOXBhCrARIsAL1QFCaUVkk1447gKOGved7ODMwkXxzlhW3kErI6H84zGPdLiCNQD5qadN8aAu8HEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 Likes

Yeah I would go for a used Keeley over any bargain comp.

A word of warning: if you didn’t like the DynaComp, you will dislike the vast majority of cheap compressors out there, because many of them are Dynacomp clones. If it has two or three knobs, it is immediately suspect :rofl:

When in doubt, check OvniLabs :slight_smile:

http://www.ovnilab.com/

3 Likes

Another thing to point out - compression is a subtle effect. Until you understand what to listen for it will usually not have a large obvious change in the sound except at extremes. In fact in some ways the better compressors can be the most subtle of all.

The best way to briefly describe their effect is that used “correctly”, they should make your instrument sound better, louder, and with more full tone at any given volume level. It’s not like distortion or other immediately obvious effects.

Basically they limit sharp peaks and bring up the remaining tone in level for any given volume level.

4 Likes