Considering a new bass

Yeah, my 604 has been a constant companion, outliving several other basses. The 504/604 are simply great.

2 Likes

That is a path, but you may find a strong preference for one style of pickups over another. I started out with a Jazz bass, a JJ setup, and still love them, love the neck profile most of all.

Soundwise I like the sound of a classic P, but the neck on a P is thick, to me it feels like a baseball bat, and I donā€™t like that at all. So I have two basses that get 90% of my playing, a Paranormal Jazz, and a Fender Jaguar, which is a Jazzmaster guitar body with a Jazz style neck, and a PJ pickup configuration.

Iā€™ve got the Jazz bass of my dreams, I donā€™t GAS after Jazz basses anymore; Iā€™m not sure Jag is the perfect PJ but its darn close.

I can play most of what I want with these two. Many are happy when they find their one true bass. I donā€™t see that happening in my case. The Paranormal has very distinct vibe with the pickups I added. To me it sounds modern. The Jaguar is more old school. That to me is a happy place with the two.

Your path will be unique to you. Just donā€™t expect us to talk you out of buying a bass. Weā€™re really bad at that.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s the thing. On the surface itā€™s quite easy to explain but one you start diving down it gets complicated, @John_E csn tell you he as the Sims double quad coils pickups on his test bed bass.

Aside from the usual traditional shape and style now you can have just about any shape in any style of coils and types of magnets.
Thatā€™s when/where the fun really starts. Youā€™ll come to like them all.

No thatā€™s a terrible idea. What if you canā€™t stop.

2 Likes

@Al1885 hahaha you just motivated me. LoL. Do you also collect guitars?

2 Likes

Only Stratocasters, with the exception that I have a Godin, a Sterling cutlass guitar and a traveler EG1 custom. Except for the Godin I donā€™t really play them. Well more like I donā€™t know how, lol.

3 Likes

You report to the MBD thread, where you will find sympathy and further encouragement :grin:

3 Likes

My Gretsch Junior Jet G2220 has actually just this moment made it safely to a Reverb buyer :sweat_smile: It was a really cool looking and sounding guitar, but I just didnā€™t end up using it much. It has an amazing growl for punk/rock tone but I found that slightly restricting, I tried some flatwounds on it but personally didnā€™t think they were a good match. Would recommend it to anyone with a background with guitars or who wanted a hot rumbly sound for everything they play!

Iā€™m using the money from that and saving for a white Yamaha 504 which Iā€™ve played in-store a few times to be sure, itā€™s such a versatile, light and beautiful instrument, I canā€™t wait until I can justify the extra cash haha. Especially since putting some flats on my Squier Jaguar I feel like those 2 together will cover a LOT of ground.
Iā€™d recommend saving a tiny bit extra for the 504 over the 304 purely for the passive/active switch alone, let alone other features :slight_smile:

You can take some of the foam off the walls. The guitars are doing their job by this point. :smiley:

2 Likes

Lol, the foam absorbs sound waves and the bass defuse them.

2 Likes

Oh, I know ā€“ though one could make an argument for absorption due to the sheer density of bass present in that room. That was more or less the joke I was going for. I am simply not that funny is all. ;D

1 Like

Oh I know it was a joke. My wife told me the same thing. Why do you need foam when all the bass already cover the wall?, lol

2 Likes

ā€œWell (insert wifeā€™s name here), the foam is there for when I buy my new big a$$ amp and those basses start movin and groovin. Donā€™t want them hitting the wall and getting all scratched upā€

2 Likes

A ray 4. :wink:
Sell the gift card for cash and buy it at GC or Musicians Friend.

My player Pbass is my most recent bass, i love it and i play it the most right nowā€¦ i wonder if iā€™d bought it first if iā€™d still have as many other basses :slight_smile:

I think thatā€™s a question we all have. The Paranormal is the Jazz for me; if I bought that first, what then? Still looking for the perfect PJ; hopefully thatā€™s a Surveyor.

2 Likes

I saw a great deal on a BB1024X on FB marketplace when I was out of town a while ago and I was all ready to buy it but the woman never got back to me.

1 Like

A lot of people think that the 1024 is one of the best BBā€™s. Great bass.

1 Like

I have six bass guitars, Ibanez, YAMAHA etc but by far the best is the Gretsch Junior Jet, great depth and variation of sound, and so light and easy to play too, got the cherry wood look , great all round.

1 Like

Gretsch is just a great all around brand.

3 Likes

They truly are.
I donā€™t think they are considered a lot because they basically do ā€˜specializedā€™ basses.
But man they do them so so well.
I think I tried every hollow body on the market and the Gretsch was by far my favorite for tone, fit, finish, style, etc.

3 Likes