Cooking and Bar-B- Que

PS. It’s great to see so many people on here do enjoy good food :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Man I really love Beef Rendang. Malaysian, Indonesian and Singaporean food is really good.

3 Likes

Here’s a pic of our Rendang for you Howard

7 Likes

Ooh awesome. That mango looks almost like takuan, fooled me for a moment :slight_smile:

Rendang is just so good. Beef and coconut milk, two of my favorite things.

3 Likes

@frankxconnors That looks delicious. Is that jalapeno and cream cheese inside pork?

@TNKA36 Good grief, man! I think you’re dominating this thread with all the delicious meat you post.

@joergkutter Is there a culinary reason for the pinch of salt as opposed to adding it to the dough?

@chris6 Chili jam?! Let us know when you get it set up for retail. Any plans to sell to the US?

3 Likes

Yes, it is jalapeño with cream cheese inside boneless skinless chicken thighs wrapped with bacon. Recipe at HowToBBQRight.com. Malcom Reed is the man!

2 Likes

I love drinking sweet iced tea. I usually have a cup of tea with me. To the point that people will ask why, if I don’t have any tea with me. I have been known to show up at friends houses with my own pitcher and supply of tea bags if I know they aren’t tea drinkers. I have been accused of only eating as an excuse to drink more tea. I can’t say this accusation is completely false.

Southern Sweet Tea

For boiling the water you can use any old pot or a tea pot but don’t use an electric water heating pot unless it gets hot enough to boil the water.

If the water does not come to a boil, when you steep the tea you will need more time for a full flavor. This is NOT recommended since the longer you steep the tea the more tannins you end up leaching out of it and those tannins will make your tea taste bitter.

What you want is the most flavor with the least tannins. If the tea isn’t strong enough for you, then increase the amount of tea used, NOT the amount of time you steep the tea.

If you’ve ever had cloyingly sweet southern iced tea, it’s usually because they steep the tea for so long they have to add extra sugar to combat the bitterness of all the tannins.

Southern Sweet Iced Tea should be a refreshing drink on a hot, humid day.

You will need the following.

• 1 long handled stirring spoon
  • 3/4 gallon of water
  • 1/4 gallon of ice
  • 1 gallon pot
  • 1 gallon pitcher
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 4 family size Tea Bags (I use Lipton brand)

Directions.

1. Pour 2 inches of water in to your 1 gallon pitcher.
  2. Pour sugar into 1 gallon pitcher. The water in the pitcher will keep the sugar from dusting up.
  3. Give the pitcher a few stirs with your long handled spoon so the sugar can start to dissolve.
  4. Pour the rest of the water in to the pot and set temperature to high; bring to a rolling boil.
  5. Add boiling water to pitcher.
  6. Add 4 family size tea bags to pitcher.
  7. Steep for 3 minutes and remove tea bags.
  8. Throw tea bags away. Really, they are only good for staining home made paper or making very bitter tea at this point.
  9. Vigorously stir the pitcher until all sugar is completely dissolved. Make it look like a tea whirl pool in the pitcher.
  10. When you are confident all the sugar has been dissolved add enough ice to bring the tea level up to the one gallon mark.
  11. When the ice has melted give the pitcher another stir. Not so vigorously this time.

Serving suggestions.

1. Get the biggest drinking container you are comfortable holding.
  2. Fill 3/4 full with ice. More on hot days.
  3. Fill drinking container with the fresh tea.
  4. Drink
  5. Repeat until pitcher is empty.
  6. Put pitcher in the dishwasher.
  7. Get out your second pitcher and make more tea.
  8. Return to step 1 of serving suggestions.

Lastly, people will sometimes hand you sugar to sweeten unsweet iced tea. [shakes head]
This doesn’t work and the struggle is real.
Don’t trust those people.
They don’t understand how iced tea works.

If you do end up in a situation where you have to sweeten unsweet tea, ask for a half cup of hot water. Add the sugar to the hot water (making simple syrup) then add the simple syrup to your tea to sweeten it.

Good Luck!

5 Likes

That’s pretty elaborate. I’ll have to look that one up. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Well, there IS salt in the dough. But a fresh, still slightly warm slice of newly-baked bread, some butter on it and then a little bit of salt on the butter, is just so simple and yet so heavenly. I guess salt just enhances the flavor of the bread (the slightly yeasty soft part and the caramelized carbohydrates of the crust) and the half-molten butter - yummy :yum:

4 Likes

Making some patented bacon pepperjack cheeseburgers today.

5 Likes

Sounds good. :+1:

1 Like

I’m a little disappointed I haven’t had any responses about my tea. I was, at least, expecting to hear from some our British members asking why I abuse tea like that. :rofl:

2 Likes

They are still in deep shock :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

I was holding back because while I appreciate southern iced sweet tea for what it is, all y’all are doing iced tea wrong :slight_smile:

I’ll never forget the first time I had it. Despite being raised by Okies my parents never made it that way. I was in South Carolina at the time, and had just come in from an excruciatingly hot day exercising outside, was low key dehydrated and drenched in sweat, and there was an awesome looking pitcher of iced tea. Poured a big glass, started to guzzle it, and almost immediately puked :slight_smile:

It was also poorly made - really strong tea and way too much sugar, you know how it can get when it’s made wrong. So bad introduction I guess.

Made right it’s pretty good though yeah. If you’re expecting it. Still prefer unsweetened though.

2 Likes

:face_vomiting: Yep. I’ve been there. Just thinking about it makes me want to gag. :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I can’t drink any tea with sugar in it. Did when I was a kid, Lipton powder mix. Used to work for Snapple in R&D, drank so much of it I got totally burnt out. The first time I had unsweetened green tea was the first day I never put sugar in any sort of tea. Good tea on ice, nothing like it. I don’t do sugar in espresso either now. I’ve learned to like flavors without the dousing of sugar.

2 Likes

my mom when i was a kid made sun tea, which was just a bunch of lipton tea bags put in a big gallon glass jar with a lid on it and left out in the sun all day to steep. she would drink it on ice with just a squeeze of lemon, no sugar and it was tannic and bitter. still don’t really like tea very much.

4 Likes

Yeah. Sun tea is pretty awful. Part of the problem is that leaving tea out in the heat like that allows bacteria to grow that makes the over-steeped tea taste even worse.

2 Likes

My friends from the UK tell me the tea they ship to the US are the bits that were swept up off the floor. Maybe someone can confirm.

2 Likes