Cort: Riddle me this....?

I have a Cort Bass, Dark Metallic Blue with an Ibanez shaped headstock with no piece carved out and a gold “C” on the top of the headstock. Is this an imposter? Serial # starts with a 703 and says it is Made In Korea. It plays very well and I’m totally happy with it, I just can’t find any other one like it! BTW It looks like the Cort Action with 3 knobs, and it’s a 4 string bass.

2 Likes

I had an SR500 at one time, made in Korea at the Cort factory, sold by Ibanez

3 Likes

Cort was originally a manufacturer brand (like Xiaomi and Huawei for cellphones) that builds basses for many big companies (Fender, Ibanez, Gibson, etc), so many of these things are bound to happen.
That being said, Cort only keep the current models on their website tho

2 Likes

It would be nice if I could look the serial number up for a year. I have no clue when or what it is…just that it was made in Korea. LOL

1 Like

If it is MIK it is almost certainly a good instrument. Some brands’ MIK models are sought after like MIJ models are.

Cor-tek (Cort) has subcontracted basses for many, many manufacturers. There’s a ton of Cor-tek made Ibanez and Fenders. Currently they operate one of the three big factories in Indonesia now and if you own any Indonesian-made bass from a large manufacturer, other than ESP or Yamaha, there’s a good chance it was probably made in the same factory as Cort makes theirs.

2 Likes

Howard,
What does MIK and MIJ mean?

3 Likes

MIK = Made in Korea
MIJ = Made in Japan
MIM = Made in Mexico

3 Likes

OOOh, Thank you. That was easy!

4 Likes