Cover Equipment Setup Questions

So I’ve been looking at the covers posted here and even though I haven’t finished the course I’ve been working on some song covers. What is everybody using to pull off these covers? What software are people using to record and remove basslines and adding in their own? I’d love to post what I’ve been working on but I’m just not sure how to do it. Any tips would be really helpful! I’m considering going to my local music store and talking to them as well.

4 Likes

I put together a few short “How To’s” to get started several months ago. You can access them HERE

Very basic, but it’s a start… Hope it helps, and hope to see and hear some covers in the near future…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

9 Likes

This is making me really wish I had a mac instead of my laptop I currently have lol

3 Likes

hey @helsleyrichard,
i went and bought the Mac, i had only ever run pc prior and its taken a while to get my head around the Mac, but once you get started its pretty easy.
cheers Brian

2 Likes

GarageBand (and Logic) are awesome and inexpensive, but don’t worry - lots of good DAW options on PC too. I happen to like Reaper, lots of people like Ableton Live, Steinberg/Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.

Audacity is a good free start for just recording (though you will may quickly outgrow it - no virtual instrument support like GarageBand’s drums, no MIDI, etc, really important stuff (to me anyway) when moving past beginner level with DAW software).

3 Likes

Hahaha it’d be an option if I didn’t just drop some $$$ of a new laptop last month.

3 Likes

FWIW I do everything on Windows, despite hating Windows (I’m a mac and linux guy.) Sadly there are few good linux options (nothing even close to either mac or windows - seriously orders of magnitude worse for selection) and my windows gaming PC is just so much more capable than my mac laptop.

If I was using my mac more - well at this point I would still use Reaper, just out of consistency, but really Logic Pro is just a no-brainer there. But that does also say a lot about Reaper I guess. Really good.

Reaper has a linux test version but not close to ready yet AFAIK.

4 Likes

I know it’s a little off topic but I was JUST looking at trying to get into Linux last week!

1 Like

Linux itself is awesome, especially if you’re a software developer. Unfortunately not so good for music or games though.

1 Like

this thread may be helpful : "remove" the bass line from a track

2 Likes

@Lanny what a fantastic Job, thanx a lot :clap:

2 Likes

Not a problem @bernds64… Very elementary because I originally put the documents together for my teenage grandkids who wanted to record themselves and swap music files with their friends, and decided to post it here too just in case others may want to use it. Also have ones on how to put audio and video together using iMovie.

2 Likes