Custom Prints

Welcome @PrideOfTheWicked, Glad you are here.
This looks amazing, and, a great way to get a matching headstock that might not be already.
Now I need to go have a think about what I might want done.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking of doing something similar, except with a vinyl wrap, which my spouse Sara can make for me (using my own graphic design). She makes things like this a side business on tumblers, mugs, wine glasses, etc. I’ve already discussed the possibility with her, and she’s game. I just have to find where I can get one of those DIY bass kits.
Your idea of hydro dipping is stellar! I may have to give that some thought and research.
Welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it!

2 Likes

To me, doing a guitar scan did not allow for a lot of error. I screwed up my 1st attempt and I was out $40. That failure however caused me to continue to look for different methods, thus discovering hydro dipping. I made mistakes in the dipping process, but at least it’s a little more forgiving when you do. You can purchase all of the base spray paints and sealer at any local Walmart store cheaply. Films and other material I purchased online. I probably spent about 10 total hours over a week on the guitar pictured, but having done this once, I feel fairly certain that I could probably get that time to about 3 hours

3 Likes

Sara uses a sealing process similar to what you described, although I don’t have a lot of details about it. All I know is, she wears a gas mask when she does that part of the project.
She stays out of my music room, and I stay out of her craft room.
After describing what I had in mind, she said she could do it, so that’s all I need to know for now.
I look forward to seeing your finished product.

2 Likes

@PrideOfTheWicked Welcome to the BassBuzz forum.

When you have time, join us on the Introduce Yourself! thread.

Nice job on that bass. Pretty cool you did a matched headstock.

2 Likes

That’s very impressive work @PrideOfTheWicked !

1 Like

Looks like it was done by a professional. Very nice work. Yup, looks like side business for sure. :+1::+1: very impressive :clap:.

2 Likes

Thx! Always loved custom art!

3 Likes

Thx! I appreciate the compliment

1 Like

She’ll be able to do it. It’s a very forgiving process and you’ll love the results!

2 Likes

I’m sure with her artistic talent she could do it. I looked into it and the cost of entry is pretty steep. I showed her the equipment we would need to get, along with the prices, and she just shook her head and walked away.
I’ve invested more in her business equipment than I have in my entire bass and amp collection.
She’s going to stick with vinyl and whatever process she uses to seal it.

1 Like

??? I spent under $75 bucks. The entire kit was ~$60 and I bought a cheap soldering iron off ebay. Are we comparing the same thing?

2 Likes

The starter kit I looked at was over $2k with the tub and all the accessories plus some starter materials. I assume its the same thing since it was referred to as “hydro dipping starter kit” which is the same term you used.

1 Like

Hey Pam, @PamPurrs ,
The Yamaha rbx200 i pimped is vinyl wrapped, way cool,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Welcome aboard @PrideOfTheWicked ,
enjoy the ride,
the bass looks awesome,
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Did you do it, or have it done?

2 Likes

One of my mates does it for a living so he offered to do it, and i accepted :grin:
He said it was a pain in the arse because of the shapes and bends etc.
He did it in 2 halves and it has a black pinstripe right the way around to cover the join, but it looks cool.
I was originally going to get it spray painted in automotive paint, 2 pack and baked in the oven but that was cost prohibitive, around 1K aud.
Cost nothing for the vinyl wrap :grinning:
I will post a couple pics :+1:
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Yes. Hydro film dipped. I dipped it in my bathtub. I even shot video every step of the way. So easy a caveman could do it. Less than 10 hours total work (sanding, soldering, reassembling, etc) and under $100 USD

2 Likes

Please do, I will show them to Sara

2 Likes