Day to Day bass playing

I’m having one of those days right now.
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

It’s only an illusion brought on by reading this thread.

Ask Jimi Hendrix which color was the haze that was in his head that cured it. Alternatively you can still add more hairs to your chest via whiskey & fughettaboutit!

It’s Sunday, the day of lighting farts on fire. Not the day of work desire. I’m going to jam outside today. :grin:

4 Likes

I’m working on my first cover with a pick. My music room floor is littered with picks that I’ve tossed in frustration. I even found one in the kitchen.

8 Likes

I remember the other guitar player in a band I was in was having a particularly rough night, really doing wrecking ball damage on some of the songs he generally killed on. After the second set as we were leaving the stage I grinned at him and asked, “you alright?”, he says, “somedays you’ve got hands and everything is magic, somedays you’ve got hooves. Lets trot on over to the bar and get a beer”. I think about that every time I’m having a day where the next note was worse than the one in front of it.

9 Likes

Exactly, it’s very easy to look at a beer when you’re sober and think you’ve been on a streak when in reality you’ve flopped 2 studio sessions and the only thing that will make you realize it is being on the other side of that beer.

7 Likes

I think he was loaded more so then stoned, but
sometimes, when you are one of those type, it makes things work better, at least at the time, for a time, until it doesn’t make anything good anymore.

5 Likes

If you are not already, use thin picks, and pick lightly, it will be easier, sound better and be less frustrating.

5 Likes

Thanks Toby @T_dub I was only joking. I’m doing just fine with the picks I’m using. Trust me, I have experimented with every thickness, size, shape and color of pick.

5 Likes

Which color and thickness have you settled on?

4 Likes

I posted this on the pick thread awhile ago also. This is my favorite. I recently ordered another 2 dozen of them.

4 Likes

Looks like a nice pick.
I may start playing a few songs with a pick, because, well, they are kind of impossible to play finger style. I get close, but can’t get consistent tone with my fingers.
I have a harder time with thicker picks on bass strings. I kind of liked them with thing guitar strings, but from the little I have played with one on bass, the thin ones are easier for me to control, and not get a crappy scratchy tone. 1.5mm max, 1.0 would be more like what I would prefer.

I even want to try out a felt pick.

4 Likes

I bought a felt pick nearly two years ago when I was first starting bass because I thought it would be cool. I immediately didn’t like it. @JerryP just got some also and has the same opinion.
Maybe your experience will be different.

BTW, I have tried from .8 to 2.5 mm and my sweet spot is 2.0, which is what my Stubbies are.

4 Likes

Yeah, I saw on the amazon you picked 2.0. I like the shape, I just would probably go with a 1.0 myself.

I have no idea what to expect from felt, but Lobster has been using one on some of his reviews, and he is not a strong pick player, but alot of people were asking for him to do some pick playing for reviews. His sweet spot was a felt pick, so I figured it might be worth a shot.

4 Likes

I played with 1.14 (@terb favorite) for awhile, but it just has too much flex for me. I’m good with 2.0. Whatever works best for you is what matters.

4 Likes

I do love your color choice. That is my favorite color of women’s hair. Pink streaks in the purple help, but straight purple will do too.

5 Likes

Amen brother

3 Likes

Purple hair rules.

For me the pick thickness depends on material. Tortex I like 1.0-1.2, Ultex I like 0.88-1.14. 1.0 for both is a good standard overall.

5 Likes

I was really disappointed when the felt picks arrived. It was like playing with a piece of metal coated with concrete dust. I expected it to feel like a billiard table top, but far from it.

6 Likes

If I am not mistaken felt picks are generally used for the likes of ukulele and classical guitars that generally have nylon/gut strings.

I am quite involved in the local ukulele community and have tried felt picks but was never happy with them. I also made a few picks out of leather. I tried leather because you can get different thicknesses that translates to different stiffnesses (if that is a word) but I never cared for that either and went back to finger style.

As for Bass playing I prefer finger style, primarily because of the tone, but like so many things in playing it all comes down to individual preference ie. do what feels best for you.

7 Likes

I did too, for the nearly 2 years I’ve been playing. Some songs just lend themselves to pick playing.
Besides, I’m tired if having to clip my fingernails down to the nub.

3 Likes