Difference between Yamaha TRBX 504 and 604

Yep I basically don’t have GAS for other basses. Totally happy with mine.

I do have GAS for pedals though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ducati for me for last 15 years Howard, but I had the first (pre-EXUP) FZR1000 that came out, and then I had the first EXUP when it came out.

The FZR then morphed into the R1

1 Like

Nice! Never even ridden a Duc. Always thought they (and Aprilia) looked great though.

I never had a Yamaha bike (mostly Suzuki, with one Kawa and one Honda exception) but my father has a few XT500s. great funny things.

1 Like

I’m a Yamaha gal too. I have a Yamaha BB235 five string and love the sound.

Never cared much for Yamaha bikes though. I’ve always been a Honda gal. I’ve owned 5 different Honda models and 1 Victory.

2 Likes

Charming.
I’ve never cared much for Honda or Victory bikes

1 Like

No offense intended…

I have always ridden cruisers, not sport bikes, so that makes a big difference.

Honda or Suzuki or Kawasaki sport bikes are not bad I think :grin:

2 Likes

Non taken Pam, I was being silly.

I do like Honda’s actually, they’ve made some ace bikes over the years, and I even had one - a CG125.

A friend of mine has a Victory and I quite like the look of it, but cruisers aren’t really my thing at all.

1 Like

You are awful, but I do like you :smiley:

This is my EXUP terb, at the top of the Col de l’Iseran above Val D’Isere on the way to the 1989 Bol d’Or at Paul Ricard.

1 Like

Those were great bikes. My last Kawa was pretty similar actually, a GPz 1100.

1 Like

Never liked the GSX-R, actually. Just didn’t feel right with my riding position with those bars. Hot bikes though and great looking, I just didn’t bend right on them - sort of this weird half-upright/half-tucked position, whereas most other sportbikes were comfy in either tuck or upright to me.

1 Like

We went way off the rails here- none of this bike talk is helping me find my GD bass tone!

4 Likes

Ha!

504 or 604 - both great instruments. You won’t go wrong with either. Go try them both, it’s the only way to be sure, but I strongly doubt you will be able to tell much difference, and whatever the difference is, whether it’s “good” or “bad” is purely subjective to that the listener likes. I can verify for you that the tone of the 604 is not objectively “bad” in any way, and you can hear the raw and preamped bass in the samples I posted above.

3 Likes

I agree. Sorry, I was one of the people who threw logs onto that fire.

2 Likes

Good Point @StinsonAlliance84!

There are plenty of people that love both of them. Neither would be considered a bad choice. “Bad Tone” can be an incredibly subjective term and what that means to somebody who has been playing for 20 years could very well be something that is virtually imperceptible to someone new. I’ve tried both the 504 and 604 and I didn’t notice any difference, but I also don’t have a lifetime of Bass behind me.

As far as the wood affecting the tone, the variation in sound you can get from the electronics is so broad, I wouldn’t be able to tell anyone where the wood has any affect at all.

Being as new as you are, you will have to put your hands on and play through quite a few instruments before you will really know what you want. A lot of that comes down to going to guitar stores and picking up and playing with everything they have.

I think, maybe I should back up. What made you decide on either the 504 or 604?

2 Likes

I’m not as rich as I look- so the bass I pick has to be the right one. I get one shot. Tons of research pointed me straight to the Yamaha TRBX series as the best bass for beginners- with room to grow. Almost universal positive reviews for the 304, 504 and 604. The 504/604 seem to be the right choice considering all the variables. The few negative remarks I found were aimed at the tone of the 604- I heard “too metalic” among othe things. Some folks REALLY didn’t care for it. I saw no negatives for the 504, which is solid mahogany. (604 is alder/maple). I was just wondering if any experienced players had tried both, and could give me a push either way.

1 Like

It sounds like you are convincing yourself there is a meaningful difference. Did you feel that the tone in the sample I posted above was “too metallic”? You need to go try both yourself to see which one you prefer, if either.

2 Likes

I sincerely apologize for repeatedly showing my ignorance to the entire bass-playing community. I have narrowed down my choices to either the 504 or 604- The one difference between the two is the body wood. The only negative reviews I’ve seen are for the tone of 604. Since the only difference between the two is the body wood, I assumed that the alder/maple combo on the 604 was to “blame”. I was just looking for an opinion on that issue- and that issue alone- but I see that’s quite impossible. I get it- I’m an idiot- But won’t one of you take stand!?

1 Like

What are you looking for someone to say? Here’s a stand:

I think the 604 sounds great. I also think the 504 and 304 sound great.

I posted samples. How did you think it sounded?

In the end, you’re going to need to go listen to them and decide for yourself. This isn’t talkbass, no one is going to try and tell you what you should think :slight_smile:

6 Likes