Do I need monitors?

Wow. That is a beautiful collection.

1 Like

Incredible really.

2 Likes

I feel like the JBL 305P mk II’s I just got are some kind of best kept secret or something. They sound fantastic, build quality is great, are dual-amped, are flexible with inputs, and have the best frequency response I saw for 5" speakers (42-24kHz). And they are also the least expensive of the set sitting at a similar quality level, coming in at even less than the Presonus 4.5’s, while beating their frequency response by almost 30Hz(!) on the low end.

Can’t recommend them highly enough.

2 Likes

Hi guys, I believe you all prefer to revive old threads over creating new ones so I’m bringing this back as the subject is exactly what I’m wondering! I’m a novice when it comes to gear so need some guidance… :slight_smile:

I have a pretty standard amp for normal practise, then when I have the urge to just play around with effects I’ll connect to my Focusrite Solo and run the BIAS FX software on my laptop (love it, really good fun). The only thing that I’m getting a bit tired of is having to use headphones to play around with that, is hooking up the Solo to a pair of monitors the only option free myself from that?

I play at home in a pretty average size bedroom, rarely that loud, so am not looking for the optimal setup for mixing or anything like that. I’ve found some 2nd hand 4" monitors for a good price but I know speaker size is always a concern for bass (and I’ll be messing around with metal distortion etc) so not sure how important this would be in my situation…
When looking online but pretty much every article I can find looks like it’s written for producers and audiophiles, so hoping for some more relatable advice!

p.s. I do have a Zoom MFX pedal but will likely be selling it; I moved to BIAS as I don’t enjoy using the Zoom or how it sounds through my amp, also I want to make it easier to record going forward.

1 Like

Unless you want studio monitors, you could feed the Solo into your bass amp.

I’m definitely open to alternatives if I can make them work!

Unless totally I’ve missed something with the connections available, I’m not sure how I’d do that though! The Solo has L/R RCA outputs and my amp is an Ampeg BA-110 with the instrument input then both 3.5 and 1/4" aux inputs

1 Like

It’s OK to take the RCA L out and plug it into the 1/4” aux input using an adapter or adapter cable.

1 Like

Ooooh interesting, thanks for the advice! I’ll look for a cable or adaptor to try, definitely a cheaper test! :grin:

1 Like

I used to have that rug. Now my ex has that rug.

It really ties the saxophones together. :grinning:

2 Likes

Silly me was looking at the specs for the 2nd gen Solo when mine’s 3rd; these have 1/4" outputs so I’ve just used a spare instrument cable. I can’t believe the solution was right under my nose all along, you’ve just saved me a load of money and desk space! :joy:

This will serve me just fine and then can invest in some good quality monitors later down the line when I’m ready! Thank you @DaveT

1 Like

Glad that worked out!

1 Like

Hope he didn’t get your saxophones too.

3 Likes