Do we have any members from the UK?

No all changed now, not for the better in my opinion. Looks more like a mash up between a kitchen and living room now rather than a bar now.

2 Likes

Excellent definition of their decor!:rofl:

2 Likes

My home town! When people ask me who I support, I still say ā€œThe Robinsā€.
Fave song, a Merthyr Tydfil away chant, ā€œWhen the red, red robin, goes bob, bob, bobbinā€™ along, Shoot the bastard, shoot the bastard, shoot shoot shoot.ā€ Still cracks me up to think of it.

3 Likes

Hi Mark, early days but getting there thats for sure, going to take quite a while but in no rush and enjoying gradually getting better. Its great to be getting back into music after an almost 20 year break - and very glad I chose the bass. Bass is cool :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah so you had a 20 year break too!!
I did as well. In fact longer I think.
I used to play guitar. I donā€™t think I was much good at it but I still have a nice assortment of guitars and amps. In fact I had all the amps serviced earlier this year to sell them (I have 3) but at the moment I canā€™t bear to part with 2 of them because they just sound so good.
Iā€™m glad I took up bass as well. Itā€™s fantastic.
Amazingā€¦

2 Likes

Did any of the UK members have to pay over Ā£50 customs duty on their course materials?
Paul

I Fukin hope not. I only signed up yesterday so my stuff hasnā€™t arrived yet.
Why do you ask, have you had to pay over Ā£50 in customs duty?

Ā£56.22

Strewth on steroids.

Was that for the course on DVD?

Iā€™m doing online version, which includes some sort of books coming through the post.

If they want Ā£56.22 off me they can keep the books and Iā€™ll ask Josh what sort of info is contained therein.

The only thing I got in the mail was the book, ā€œFirst 50 Songs to Play on Bassā€, which I tossed into the back of my office closet because the songs are all in tabā€¦ No musical notation.
I canā€™t imagine paying a pile of money just to get it delivered to your mailbox.

Pam does that mean you read musical notation?
Where else do you get the songs from?

Thereā€™s import tax on some stuff here in UK btw - itā€™s nothing to do with postal cost.

1 Like

I can, but not 100% proficient. Iā€™m trying to learn sight reading, and I find that relying on tab is a bit of a deterrent to my learning.
I have nothing against tab, but prefer that the sheet also includes notation.
As to your other question, itā€™s hard to find sheet music for bass thatā€™s not presented in tab form.

2 Likes

Ah ok.
I donā€™t use tab either unless theres a note I canā€™t figure out.
Did you learn sight reading from Joshā€™s course? Iā€™m looking forward to that.
Iā€™m on Module 4 Lesson 6 at the moment.

1 Like

I hate to mention another course on the Bassbuzz forum, but Iā€™m taking the Sight Reading course from Mark Smith on Talking Bass. I take a lot of Markā€™s courses in addition to Joshā€™s course.

1 Like

Markā€™s the bizz. I look at loads of his stuff.
Him and Josh are my two main people for learning online really.
Do you ever go on his live streams?

1 Like

Lol yes. Everytime he has one. I missed today because I had a breakfast date.

1 Like

Yeah the live streams are good.
Maybe Josh should do one.

1 Like

Yeah I really like Markā€™s teaching style too. After Josh heā€™s my next favorite online bass teaching youtuber.

2 Likes

Hi Mark, yep I played the Clarinet but stopped playing when I left uni. Even though Iā€™ve done no music since then it still comes in handy for getting the timing of the lessons. I tend to have the Tab/music score form the course extras up on the screen when I am listening to the videos and follow that rather than the moving tempo line. I have a really cheap second hand bass but did buy a better amp recently which makes a big difference to the sound and my enjoyment of playing the instrument.

4 Likes