Does anyone have a hero or someone they look up to?

Other than @JoshFossgreen of course :+1:

My ‘hero’ is John Entwhistle who played with The Who. His slapping technique looked awesome and if I ever become half the player he was I will be happy

4 Likes

Since it’s not particularly about bassists I guess it’s another topic than: Favorite Bassist? but it is close enough that there will be a lot of duplicates. Anyway… regarding your question I give the same answer I gave in the other thread:

My favorite musician and personal hero is Tim Minchin!
But he is a pianist.

As far as bassists in bands go I don’t have a favorite/hero.

I really like Charles Berthoud and admire him for his clean technique while being able to play good sounding lines. It’s both - extremely technical and sounds good. The second part is something some very technical bassists lack.

4 Likes

Tim Michin is awesome. Saw him play Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar and it blew me away

3 Likes

I liked his comedy/cabarret stuff. I haven’t even seen Jesus Christ Superstar.

I can understand him though. As far as I could gather from interviews he achieved what he wanted to on stage and felt his passion was more in songwriting.

He has written the music for Mathilda the musical.

4 Likes

@gragil1, check out this topic Who do you aspire to be/play like? . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

Cheers- didn’t realise there was already a topic. Must try to read first.

5 Likes

That’s understandable, @gragil1 . . . we have lots of newer members, but we also have lots of topics . . . :slight_smile:

Try using the search function, “magnifying glass” icon located on the upper right.

My favorite bassist is John Entwistle as well . . . :wink:

Cheers, Joe

6 Likes

Will do - thanks Joe

5 Likes

Watch out for the @Jazzbass19 warnings!!!

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I had to. Couldn’t resist. I resisted elsewhere all day yesterday.

Kidding @Jazzbass19 of course

1 Like

Perhaps one of the badges you should be able to earn on this forum is the ‘Gratuitous Ignoring Of Existing Threads’ badge :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

Love it

2 Likes

If I don’t remember to first thoroughly search for answers to my endless questions, could easily corner that badge.

3 Likes

Hahaha​:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
It’s not as big a deal as it sounds. It’s a good thing to try and do, and the forum even reminds you when posting if your question is similar to other threads, but it is pretty lax here, full of understanding people.

2 Likes