Does this body style have a name?

Two years later and funny how several of us fell in love with the ESP Streams over time :rofl:

Super cool basses.

5 Likes

I’m still grossed out by the term “horn hangnail”. :slightly_frowning_face::face_vomiting::slightly_frowning_face:

5 Likes

My excuse for missing this thread is that I wasn’t a member back then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s not a bass hangnail. It looks like somebody pinched off a good one and it flopped onto the bass

:hushed: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

The utter ugliness of that Mayones continues to bug me. Like, it looks like a set neck, but they painted it to look like a 7-piece neck-through, which it pretty clearly isn’t, but it looks like they painted right over the hangnail to continue the illusion.

Or maybe it is a neck through that they drew a set neck cut in to and painstakingly and lovingly carved the hangnail end from such that it perfectly matched up with the body carving. Which is probably even worse.

This is one of the most fugly instruments I have ever seen.

1 Like

Mayones doesn’t “paint” necks to simulate laminated layers. Their necks are handmade, whether solid or laminated.

Cali basses are made from woods left over from cutting blanks used in their full-size body builds.

The one in this Cali is a laminated neck-through. It isn’t a set neck as set necks are glued to a body via a mortise and tenon or through-mortise joint.

Neck-through designs do not have a traditional body, but instead two wings of wood glued onto either side of the full-length neck.

I don’t like the top wing carving they did on the back of this one. But then again, I don’t care for the small-factor Cali model at all.

5 Likes