Does Tone Wood Matter on Electric Instruments?

It’s amazing how much of the sound is in the look :rofl:

6 Likes

20ish years ago, I threw my first bass in the dumpster when I was sanding the finish off and discovered plywood. I regret it, but oh well, it’s done XD

4 Likes

$20 is an expensive bottle around here #hillybillytown

5 Likes

You know, we were looking at that signature stream, and it’s a gorgeous bass, but my Stream 204 cost me under $300, for another $300 I added the same EMG pickups and EQ as the John Campbell edition. Is the ash body going to sound that much better than my mahogany ? Looks I grant you the JC has, but $800 worth? I can get a lot of gear for $800

2 Likes

Well before the days of YouTube this used to be mind blowing.

You taste with your nose, blindfolded and pinch the nose you can’t tell the difference be the dice onion and apple. Well the technical term would be brunoise, small dice. The texture of the two are very close.

3 Likes

This is particularly funny considering, the first post on this thread posted by @howard

Was me saying this…

I think it says all good things about this forum that we’ve been able to have this discussion without it devolving into anything awful.

These are the biggest things I’ve learned from this thread.

1. There are far too many peculiarities from one individual person to another that determine perception.
  2. I don’t think anyone can categorically say, for someone else, where the magic in one particular instrument versus another particular instrument, comes from.
  3. Don’t let anyone dictate what you play or what makes you happy for whatever reason it makes you happy.

To support #3, I submit this video titled Don’t Yuck My Yum.

4 Likes

Yet again, I’ve learned something new and non Bass related.

I also learned today that the term for leaves falling from trees in Autumn/Fall is Abscission.

6 Likes

Lol. You get about 50 cents worth of wine when you buy anything less than 5 bucks a bottle except for the Trader’s Joe two buck chuck.

2 Likes

It’s even better for the sparkling wines. I am willing to bet you could serve anyone Freixenet and tell them it was Dom and they would believe you.

3 Likes

Lol, Though Dom has pretty distinct flavor. Plus Dom is like the first high end champagne people order when they celebrate. I can personally pick several $25 bottle that could stand up against the $200 bottle for “American” taste.

2 Likes

Exactly, @Koldunya . . . That’s all that really, really matters!

2 Likes

That’s probably because we’re all a little more mature than some folks on other Forums out there, Eric! @eric.kiser :wink: :wink: :wink:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Well, that and nut material.
Oh, and capacitor type
And Jack type.
And ooooh, cloth covered wire Vs plastic covered.
And……:upside_down_face:

Love your bass(es) for any and all reasons that are yours to have. Same goes for amp, deity, phone platform, bakeware and many many household items.
The only exception I can think of would be cola, which can only be Pepsi (my collection depends on this thank you).

4 Likes

Amen to this @Jazzbass19 Joe!

Love this place.

4 Likes

Physically yes. Mentally…. I will absolve myself of any responsibility once I enter into the big,wide world :grin:

I think folks here are more capable of listening to all sides of a discussion, less dismissive of other peoples opinions, definitely not clicky (spelling?), and just generally “good eggs “

4 Likes

dont forget finish type and thickness :smiley:

1 Like

I now think I want a bass covered in fine Corinthian leather.

3 Likes

I got you…

corinthian leather has the richest tone

6 Likes

-0zhIw6kO2AxsWjtRtI7x0-eOHLL5ERmvZFuTt6Jxag.jpg

1 Like

This one is for sale on facebook near me for a sweet $225 :upside_down_face:

1 Like