Don't pre-stretch La Bella strings - pro tip

@howard not only have I never done it, this is the first time I’ve ever heard of it. It just seems like a rather odd and unnecessary step to me.

1 Like

I texted my dear friend who has been playing guitar for decades and asked him about pre-stretching. Here’s his response:

No, I never do. Much easier to stretch them a bit once they’re on the guitar. It doesn’t take long for them to settle in.

Followed up with…

Just stoopid the try to stretch naked strings

You are not alone with this @PamPurrs .
And as I am just a home noodler I can’t see myself taking this practice up anytime soon.

1 Like

I think there’s a mis-communication here. No one is suggesting to stretch strings that aren’t on a guitar. “Pre-stretching” strings happens with the strings on the guitar… No one is playing Hulk on loose strings fresh out of the package…

5 Likes

Clearly I’m behind most here in musical terms, but looking at that guy’s recommendation on stretching the strings :thinking: it just makes me wonder how much he’s doing with that “technique” it doesn’t replicate what it’s described on the article, with that motion wouldn’t one just stretch the segment in between our hands??? :thinking: or do it unevenly at best?? how does that affect the string??
If there’s debate on whether pre-stretching is a myth, it means that plenty on musicians don’t see any benefit
Don’t get me wrong, new strings do need to be retuned for days before they settle (in guitars, I’ve never stringed a bass) but the way the string stretches on the guitar interacting with the instrument it’s deferent to what that guy does in the video
Also, I’d think that how much a string stretches depends on the material/construction of such string, meaning not all will be affected equally, perhaps that’s why the manufacturer says not to pre-stretch theirs :man_shrugging:t4:
But again all I know about pre-stretching I learned on this tread

3 Likes

Interesting coincidence - this afternoon I put La Bella flatwounds on my Sterling SUB Ray 4 (don’t hate me) and this thread popped up.

I did not pre-stretch the strings, although I am familiar with the concept and I was unaware that La Bella recommends not doing it. I’ve just never seen the need.

After installing the strings I did a setup, which involved re-tuning several times. I then checked the tuning and played for about 90 minutes (I love these strings on this bass).

That was several hours ago. I did not re-tune after my session. I just now checked and the Ray 4 is still in perfect tune.

Like I said, I’ve never seen a need to pre-stretch strings.

3 Likes

Yeah absolutely, you just stretch while stringing, it takes literally no time or additional effort. I’m kind of amazed this is a controversial thing to be honest. I don’t even think about it really, I just do it as an aside while stringing. Exactly as Mark demonstrates here:

3 Likes

I just put new strings on then lightly pull upwards away from the fretboard as I grab each string with 4 fingers somewhere near the pickups area while the strings are on already on my nylon acoustic guitar. I do this a few times actually to help them sit.

3 Likes

With all due respect to your buddy, I’ll trust StewMac here instead.

Seriously, this is super common. It’s fine that you hadn’t heard of it, but this is definitely a common thing. For guitars or basses. Even a cursory search turned up tons of videos about it.

etc etc etc :slight_smile:

Both bass and guitar, tons of examples out there.

5 Likes

Yep that’s more or less what I do too.

2 Likes

Au contraire, je t’aime @spidey9 :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

I always wash my strings and put them in the dryer to “shrink” them you guys can all go around stretching them but I want my strings shrunk and tighter than a puckered snare drum! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@MonsieurFahrenheit :rofl:

1 Like

Damn, I’ve been sending them to the dry cleaners

4 Likes

Who needs strings anyway?

3 Likes

Not sure if you were joking or not but I have often wondered if putting strings in an ultrasonic cleaner would clean them.

I always wash my hands thoroughly before playing sessions so I do not get more gunk on the strings than I have to and I clean and oil the fretboard any time I change strings.

3 Likes

Same here, always wash before I play. I wash after too. Don’t smell your metallic fingers afterwards, trust me. I wipe down the stings every few times I play too, so the gunk can come of periodically.

Yesterday I accidentally made the mistake of saying I stretch near the bridge when I meant near the soundhole or at the end of the fretboard/pickup area.

1 Like

I would worry about getting water / solution out of the wraps, I think this would lead to untimely corrosion.

1 Like

I wish I was better at this.
I do use Fast Fret though, which protects the string and your fingers.

3 Likes

AhHa!!!

I knew there would be something I was missing :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like