Don't pre-stretch La Bella strings - pro tip

PS- I’m going back go stretching!

4 Likes

Oh no! Please say it’s not true! You didn’t forget to take that marker off.

3 Likes

You must like living on the edge :rofl:

3 Likes

I tried it once……put my back out :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Memo to tuning pegs:

Don’t stretch the strings when I tune them, as they have already been pre-stretched.

1 Like

@PamPurrs, you really need to work on communicating your position on things.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks @John_E I’ll work on that :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Sounds like a waste of time to me.
I mean the time it would take to micro tune the string and make sure to NEVER go past, plus always being flat as a result, Eh, I will pass. :wink:
I am making jokes of course.

2 Likes

Josh recommends stretching new strings.

As a guitar player, I’ve always done it. It’s common practice.

1 Like

I don’t pre-stretch but I do “index” each string. Get them pretty close to in tune, then press down just past the bridge and retune.

1 Like

Yep ubiquitous, nearly everyone recommends it.

I would simply ignore LaBella’s advice here. Stretching is so ubiquitous and useful that if it’s gonna break their strings, that’s on them and is a good example of caveat emptor.

2 Likes

I think it is a common misconception for those that don’t stretch
They must picture like a dead weight olympic lifter, putting on his gloves and grabbing hand fulls of chalk and wiping his hands dry, then just yanking on their strings like they are going for an olympic record.

It is simple to stretch your strings, and there’re plenty of methods that work.
Tune, run your finger under each string from the body to the nut. then Re Tune
Or
Tune, and bend your strings while playing them, stretching them a full step for a minute, then re-tune
Or
Tune, play the hell our of your strings for 5 minutes til they are all out of tune, and re tune them

You are gonna stretch your strings weather you think you are not anyway, its just easier to do it after changing your strings and getting it over with so your instrument stays in tune longer / better.

OR DON"T, you are gonna eventually anyway

2 Likes

Drummers stretch new heads when they put them on too.

1 Like