Drop D or not?

Or you can get a Hipshot drop tuner (a.k.a. “bass xtender”), and then you can switch between standard and drop D with the flip of a lever

3 Likes

I use a left-handed bass. Is there a special one for that?

1 Like

My idea was better because it justified him getting another bass…which is always a good thing

8 Likes

Doesn’t that mess up the scale though by only tuning down one string? It would seem to me that that would mess up the scale doing that.

1 Like

They come in bass side and treble side version. I assume you’d need a treble side for your left handed bass.

1 Like

Yep that’s exactly how I ended up with 3 basses. It all started with this comment by @Gio when I asked the same question about detuning two years and EUR 3000 ago.

5 Likes

It takes longer to tune the drop D extender by Hipshot than just retuning. The extender is good if you are performing and have to switch fast.

Otherwise, it’s just GAS

3 Likes

Yep; tuning down takes seconds. The extender is not needed.

and:

Well, not really “mess up”, but you need to adjust that string by two frets up, if that’s what you mean.

I’ve “had” to play several songs using Drop D because one of the vocalist’s in one band I played in wanted the key of some songs changed to match his voice. Granted, I could have tuned down to flat which I did on several songs, but there were a few songs that just didn’t sound (or play) right so using Drop D allowed me to play all notes in a different area if the fretboard yet still provide that great low tone we all love to hear…

As far as “liking it better than standard”…. No…. I like it when I need to use it in order to allow me to play a song better/easier. I’ve had to use several different tunings - even tuned way down to C-G-C-F (didn’t like it at all, but it worked)…. My preference has and always will be a standard E-A-D-G tuning although there are times when my B-E-A-D bass comes into play…… Bass Diversity!! Don’t ya just LOVE it!!:grin::grin:

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

So i have a drop tuner on my bass, but i almost never use it. Having a 2nd (or 5th ) bass around for alternate tuning is a really good answer. I have an Ibanez es300 that i keep in drop d all the time.
If financial constraints are an issue, drop tuning is fast and very easy. Does it eat up the nut? Maybe? I just powdered a little graphite from a pencil and lubricated the string slot.

I change from Std to Drop-D all the time, since the 90’s, and I’ve never ever had any nut issue because of this. I’m sure it’s not a problem at all.

3 Likes

So that’s actually really good to know. Me and my whole 18 months of tying to learn this, that’s actually been a question.
Fact is, i got a whole bunch of weirdo questions i never asked. Guess i should have.

2 Likes

I can tune my hipshot to d or d#,and if i actually do a full speed flip on it, it knocks it out of tune. If i actually roll it down slowly, it will hold. Meaning drop tuning mid-stream like Victor ain’t gonna happen. Then Again, he IS Victor wooten.

Great idea, but if I bought another one I’d probably end up sleeping in the garage, and it’s really cold out there :slight_smile: I do have my Ibanez 4 string in reserve, so I could go ahead and just re-tune that one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When you tune it do you go back and forth and retune 2-3 times? Need to do at least 2x to get it to stick.

Ha!
I’m a veritable well of advice… so long as it connects directly with heinous mistakes that I have made myself.
Which, as it turns out, covers most everything to do with playing the bass.

6 Likes

That’s what being an expert in (almost) any field is, isn’t it? :grin:

2 Likes

Ha!
Yes. Absolutely.

2 Likes

Yeah, if i do a Nice controlled drop its good. It also takes several plucks or pick strokes to go back up to e

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

5 Likes