Ear Training?

If it works…

…probably doesn’t hurt the voice either!

4 Likes

Guess I’m deaf… Well at least I tried.

7 Likes

You’ll get better fast, I bet!

3 Likes

It does improve with practice. I’m no champ at ear training, but I did notice when I sing in choir my “ear” improves over the season…and then it sorta goes away a bit during off season. So, like going to the gym, you gotta keep it up. But, also like the gym, you don’t start from ground zero after a lay off.

Just keep at it, you’ll improve–and you’ll be amazed at what you can do after while.

3 Likes

I’ve created a custom workout just for m3 and M3 now, and it’s just stabbing in the dark basically. I can hear the difference between the two when I play one after the other (like a C-E after a C-Eb), but when I hear a brand new one then I have no idea which one it is.

Anyway, I’ll keep doing it… Better than doing work.

4 Likes

@Akos, I don’t know if you’re already doing this, but if you’re not, definitely pick a song for each interval. I use Greensleeves for the minor 3rd and Kumbaya for the major 3rd. That’s the only way I can do them. And I definitely have to sing almost every time.

5 Likes

I’m not doing the song thing, but I’ll try that, thanks. (Singing is out of the question though.)

3 Likes

That’s a very good advice! It gets way easier to identify intervals with well known song examples

And humming?

3 Likes

I’ll need to take humming lessons first

4 Likes

The singing and humming are just for you, not for an audience. I don’t know how to sing properly, but I sure know how to hum/whistle a melody and that helps me indentify the intervals

4 Likes

I’m going to write the biggest hit of all time and start it with a minor 6th because all the song examples for it suck

6 Likes

Take that, m3 M3!

Baby steps… This is going to take ages for me.

8 Likes

Congrats!

3 Likes

What app is that from?

3 Likes

Complete Ear Trainer

And the screenshot is from chapter 1 of Easy Mode. Took me like two weeks :expressionless:

4 Likes

An app, or a website.

3 Likes

iPhone app

4 Likes

free? or money?

3 Likes

You can probably try it for free as well, don’t remember, but it’s just a couple of euros so I bought it. Drop in the sea considering the amount of money I’ve spent on bass already.

3 Likes

oh yeah for sure on that

3 Likes