Ear Training?

It’s better than anything I can think of!

3 Likes

My college ear training classes used solfege, which was amazing for me.
It’s the Do-Re-Mi (etc) from Sound of Music.

There’s a syllable and even - if you add Kodaly methods in - a hand movement for each syllable. You ear train with all these kinetic, tangible components and it really helps place and recognize different intervals and melodies.

I don’t have internet references for these, but I’m sure my buddy Google does.

8 Likes

This is a good one from my teacher of my last ear training class, this is a little more advanced than what she covers in her level 1 class I took. ear training

I think I mentioned it above, but her book gets into all of what Gio just talked about to include “conducting” which helps you understand the timing. Here is her book, just in case: book

4 Likes

I’ll have to check that out. Thanks!

Ken T.

2 Likes

I’m doing Ari’s 10 week hands on course on Ear Training. It’s the first she’s done. Will let you know how it goes. Only had one lecture so far. There are only five of us in the class so it’s a good size for learning. First lesson was already pushing quite a bit. Had to think of things on the spot and play them for the group. I like learning like that though.

2 Likes

The thing I think about on courses like that is that she is teaching to bass players, not hobbyists. I think the approach to teaching is different so you don’t lose the hobbyist. Push too hard, and it goes over the head or cannot be absorbed in time for the next lesson, etc. I find live lessons I can time at my own cadence and online that I can do at my own pace work for me. If I want to be pushed, I can be in either, or tap the breaks a bit too.

2 Likes

I need to be pushed. Apart from BassBuzz, I’ve never completed a self-learning course. And even BassBuzz took me a year due to lack of self-motivation.

2 Likes

At least you are honest about it.
The first step to fixing a problem, knowing it exists.
Good for you, if you can’t push yourself, go to somebody who can.

5 Likes

I thought I would chime in on Mark Smith’s Ear Training course.
I am about 3/4 of the way through it and I have to say it is very much worth the time.
I have done interval training on sax a few times and it has not really stuck, but this course, and how Mark has laid it out is fairly brilliant.

The best part is it gives you loads of ‘practice nuggets’ to add in for after the course to keep it up. Highly recommend vs. a simple ear trainer app, etc.

5 Likes

Yeah, I would love to do it. unfortunately, I have a little over 24 hours left on the all access pass, and it goes away. I am not in position to purchase any lessons at the moment. I did get a chance to peek at it and it looked great, I just don’t want to have to sing notes :rofl: But I fully get the benefit. Maybe some day I will be able to get the course, that and the 2nd and 3rd sight reading lessons are all high on my wish list.

I was fortunate enough to complete Scalse, and Chord Tones, and Walking bass lines on the quick (I focused mostly on one note to do lessons, as I did not have time to practice in every key, but I can still branch out on my own for that. He is a great teacher and in the long run, the courses are not really expensive, compared to what you get, especially if they are on sale.

2 Likes

Yeah @John_E , I’m about halfway through Mark’s ET course also. I’m also in the midst of other courses, and only visit that course occasionally. I really need to get full speed on it.

2 Likes

I’m trying to stay on it a bit each day so I don’t forget what came before…which happens approximately 25 hours after the last lessons I watched.

If there is one thing I would ask a genie for to help my musical progress, it would be better memory.

3 Likes

Looks like I can do this course.
We all know Mark at TalkingBass is a classy guy, and if you did not think so, this should confirm it.

He sent me an e-mail saying something to the effect of:

As you know, yesterday marked the end of the ALL ACCESS PASS.
I want to thank you for being a subscriber, please find a coupon below for 100% off any two courses. Yes, two courses of your choice for 0$
To redeem, select any two of the courses from the menu, and enter the coupon code below to get the 100% discount and pay absolutely nothing for them.

Yeah, I got so much out of the courses I completed and even the ones I partially completed as time wound down, but to get to pick two to get for free is awesome, above and beyond.

I know I am going to select the first volume of sight reading, I only got thru the first of 3 modules, and want to complete it, and have all the required course material.
The question now, that I am processing is, do I go for the 2nd volume of sight reading, or select Ear Training, Slap Bass, or Chord Tones.

I completed over 50% of chord tones, and the classes are very similar to Scales which I did complete, but Chord Tones are so crucial to creating bass lines, fills, walking lines, etc… and to have it for reference FOREVER, is probably worthwhile.

I will weigh it over a bit, and look thru the cost / savings ratio of getting free vs. buying before I commit, but as I have always been impressed with Mark, this is just like icing on the cake.

3 Likes

FWIW…

Chord tones is invaluable, but as you go thorugh the course it gets more complex with 7th, 9th, 11th, etc and honestly I would have to go back to study that material again and again to get it to stick (and will you really use it anytime soon).

I am finding Ear training to be helpful right out of the gate, and a very unique approach to this topic where all others have failed to give me much help. I like his approach a lot.

I have the slap course waiting for me, plan to start after I clean up the Ear Training. So cannot comment on that.

I would pick the ones you think you will get the most bang for your no bucks TODAY vs. later. That you will have to decide.

They are all great, from an obviously great guy.

2 Likes

Yeah, as I said, I have completed a little more then 1/2 of the chord tones course already, and I completed the Scales course in its entirety, both are extremely similar, doing Chord Tones after Scales seemed almost like a repeat course. the lessons are ALMOST the same all the way up.
to have one for lifelong reference is well worth it however.

I also was sure to review all the courses in pretty thoroughly, opening them up and looking at all the lessons, watching a few videos, and reviewing some of the course extras, prior to losing the ALL ACCESS, so I have a pretty good idea of what is wanted / needed.

Also, being free, it might be worth getting the higher priced courses.
However, I completed Scales which is $20 more then Chord Tones, and going by the idea of getting most value for free, would tell me to get Scales.
But
I did not complete Chord Tones, and in the end, I think using chord tones in bass lines might be better for life long reference. So, I would probably go with Chord Tones, just cuz I didn’t get all the way to it, and it will be as useful as scales in the long run if not more so, for basslines. possibly not for total score composition or transferring to other instruments, but for bass, probably a safe bet.

1 Like

I completed the Walking Bass Lines course last, but rushed thru it. 90% of what is taught in that class is based off Chord Tones, and they are used in so many bass lines.
That said, 90% of what is taught in Chord tones is from Scales, but, will you use scales or chord tones more. If I had to pick, I would say chord tones, so yeah, I will really use them anytime soon.

Thanks for the info on the Ear Training, that sounds like a great course. I am considering it, but think finishing the sight reading course 1 is something I would like to do first. Still considering everything tho, I don’t have to choose today, and I will think about it.

1 Like

Mark is definitely an awesome man!

My advice FWIW, take Volume 1 of sight reading plus chord tones. By the time you finish V1 of SR, you might be in a better financial position.
You’ll get a lot out of Chord Tones.

2 Likes

I am about 99% certain that is how I am going to do it.
I am over 50% thru chord tones, but will probably restart at the beginning of Module 2 anyway.
I got thru the first module of sight reading, but that was before I had my hospital stay and ensuing health issues, so I would need to go back and practice for a bit before continuing because I have not kept up on practicing sight reading.
This is awesome now cuz I can get all the lesson material to keep and lifetime access.
Hopefully I will get others when these are done. Course the first I would get would be part 2 of sight reading. Ear training would come after that.
Also, ear training is developed with continued practice regardless if you are trying to or not, however it is better to be aware and do some active listening to what you are playing.
And a course will be beneficial at some point for sure.

2 Likes

I find this to be Ari’s style of teaching. She does enough in the lecture to get you thinking. Then, it’s up to the student. I find this very useful, but I have to admit, I felt lost frequently during the live lectures. Once it clicks, though, I hear the choir singing! :angel: I plan on taking more of her courses once I complete B2B.

5 Likes

I finished talkingbass.com’s ear training last night.
Overall I think it is a great approach, you certainly need to pull pieces out and continue on your own.

I did feel the rhythm section was a bit rushed at the end though, and for intervals, certainly a lot more to do, which is probably why this is a Vol. 1, but well worth the time.

2 Likes