Electrical question

also in the amazon comments the first guy that gives his review is an electrical engineer (or so he says) and he says it is not. he also says he hasn’t experienced any noise from his either. and this seems to be the case with most people, which is why i still tend to believe that the noise factor is overstated in the case of power supplies that are not fully isolated.

1 Like

Yes, but I am curious, this choke coil method used In the “Isolated” units instead of actually being isolated…
Could that be missing from the Non Isolated circuit units, like the HB you have, thus the hum / noise??
Couldit be, or that might be the difference?

If the choke coil does the job, mimicking isolated circuit units, at a fraction of the price, and last long enuf, I am ok with them. I have only had mine about a month, but @howard has had his for a while with no issues, so I am optimistic.

2 Likes

Gcancella has the hb.

1 Like

Looking forward to this comparison :+1:

2 Likes

Understandable, I had the same posture. Nothing better than to try yourself. I went from daisy chaining to non isolated outputs to isolated outputs, just because of the hum :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I think the hum says something about the quality of the pedal
Should it have a well designed power supply there would be no feedback on the main power-supply

1 Like

my review of the caline power supply. tl/dr it’s quiet

4 Likes

@gcancella Did you ever do a write up about your experience changing to an isolated power supply?

I did not!

I moved houses meanwhile and I don’t have the non-isolated power supply with me for now.

What I can say, in my experience I went from: A lot of noise/hum (daisy chain), some noise/hum (non isolated - could get worse depending on the pedals), no noise (isolated)

1 Like

@gcancella Thanks. I was going through some old threads I had missed and wanted to see how this turned out.

What isolated power supply did you go with?

I ended up buying a Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-2 Pro, and I’m really happy with it. The only downside is not having a dedicated power switch, which I solved with an extension with a power switch.

1 Like

if anybody needs a switch for their pedalboard, i went with this and it’s pretty handy. you could velcro the footswitch to your board if you wanted to.

you weren’t asking me and i don’t mean to hijack but this might be useful to somebody, who knows. i now have 3 different power sources for my board so i can compare them all. the first is i have several really hard to power pedals that only really want the stock wall wort power supply and won’t really work right with a power brick. if you have this problem, just simply mount the pedal’s stock wall wort under your board. if you are like me and don’t want multiple power cords running to your board, you can fix this easily by just velcro/zip tying a small power strip to the underside of your board and plugging all your power sources into it and then just running it’s single cord out to the wall. you might need to buy flat extensions so they fit under your board, like these:

i also run two power supplies, an ungrounded cheapo caline and a super nice grounded cioks. the caline was always noise free for me on every pedal i had and in most cases i would recommend it. however i recently ran into my first problem with it when i plugged in my beatbuddy drum pedal into it and got a TON of noise. i switched the beatbuddy to the cioks and all is quiet. so yes, there are pedals that require an independently grounded power supply.

1 Like

I have the same and I’m satisfied with it. Some of my pedals do produce some hum/hissing, but I think it is more related to their analog components :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I would have definitely gone with this depending on shipping cost if it was available when I bought mine. Seems like the perfect balance of price and performance.

3 Likes

I did something similar. I attached my extension (a power surge protected one) to the back of the pedalboard. It only has 3 sockets, but for now is sufficient as i only need it for the power supply and for the beat buddy wall mount. The remaining one is free to charge my phone, my DAI or Amp if I venture out of the house

2 Likes

That H-B looks fantastic. Love the number of 300mA outs.

3 Likes

If it has proprietary cables going to your pedals then I am 100% sure it is a rebranded cioks. It looks exactly like mine.

1 Like