Electronics Shielding Questions!

Prices here range from $32 to $103 depending on bottle size.

2 Likes

I might have to send you a care package @mac. If I post it now it should be there for July?

1 Like

:joy:

ā€¦another thing might be twisted pairs. On my next bass build (whenever I get a body for my Jazz buildā€¦) I was planning on using jacketed shielded signal wire. I thought it would look pretty clean. Iā€™ve got some stuff thatā€™s PVC jacketed then a foil layer then 4 conductors. For the really short runs, Iā€™d pull out the conductors I donā€™t need.

I donā€™t have a pic handy, but thatā€™s the plan for the Jazz I will build, since I think the 120hz noise might be a bigger issue with the twin single coils when running only one pickup.

FWIW, I did use the copper foil in my PJ, but my guitar tech says it does no good. I dunno.

Hey! I had a heck if a time making my bass (single coil pickup) quiet. It not only had a slight hum but it would make static pops whenever my fingers touched the pickguard. I ordered some quality copper tape (adhesive side needs to be conductive) and shielded the Hey! I had a heck if a time making my bass (single coil pickup) quiet. Not only a slight hum but it would make a static noise when my fingers touched the pickguard. I finally ordered some quality copper tape (adhesive side needs to be conductive) and shielded the entire cavity and back of the pickguard, then replaced wire to bridge. Make sure to have your copper tape come up the cavity and have an 1/8" lip all the way around to make contact with the pickguard around all edges.
My bass is dead quiet and no more static. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hey folks. The Dreambasso saga continues. I plugged it in for the first time into the SH-1 stompbox thinking that since I have a Steve Harris P with his signature strings, maybe I ought to do the whole kit. Hitherto I only used it with the battery powered Valeton headphone amp.

Egads! The buzz is just unbearable. Whatā€™s really interesting is that the buzz goes away as soon as I touch the jack from my patch cord or the strings/bridge. However, it goes away completely with the jack, but not quite totally with the bridge/strings. Also, I was looking over it, and I didnā€™t notice before that the middle screw is missing from the bridge (Standard fender 5 in a row). Would this point to a grounding or a shielding issue? Or both?

However, when I had it plugged in at the store before taking it home, it sounded just fine, and it sounds fine not plugged into the wall (battery powered valeton). So, Iā€™m thinking that the problem may be with the Sansamp or my house electrics (I know my house is a bit noisy). However, when I plug in my Peavey into the sansamp itā€™s nowhere near as noisy (despite having a single-coil superferrite pup).

Help me, BassBuzz hivemind! Youā€™re my only hope.

1 Like

You have a grounding issue for sure, not necessarily shielding, but from what you said sounds like a Valeton ground issue. Is there a ground lift switch on it in the wrong position?
Switch basses with same setup that has the issue - what is result?

Past that, to confirm where the issue isā€¦
Couple questions and tests -
Eliminate gear/cables and go bass-amp direct in some fashion, not headphone amps, etc.
What is result?
Does result change when tone knob is rolled one way or the other?
When you get this issue - does touching the pole pieces make more noise?
Change cables - any difference?
Add in the offending pedal, change? - battery or powered mode, try both, but sounds to me unless I read it wrong that your Valeton that is the issue, but not 100% following your offending signal chain.
You are not comparing like for like setups making it a bit hard to troubleshoot.

Also you donā€™t mention what Valeton pedal it is.
BTW, nix the battery and get a proper power supply anyway.

2 Likes

@MC-Canadastan Have you had a chance to find the problem?

O mentioned it at the bass hang yesterday.

Itā€™s definitely a shoelding/grounding issue in the bass. Itā€™s buzzy regardless of venue or amp. The missing bridge screw is just the shitty cherry on the turd pie.

That said, Long & McQuade have owned this, and the bass will be either fixed or replaced. Third time lucky, I guess.

2 Likes