Experiences going into a studio (pretty much for the first time)!

Thanks, @howard and @DaveT - it has been an incredible learning experience on top of everything else! There were several “eye openers” for me and I am still digesting a lot of it…

I think it was worthwhile to prep well, and thanks to the patience of you guys (and also @terb and many others) who kept explaining stuff to me (often again and again), little by little this is all bearing fruit.

The next fun thing and learning experience is going to be the final mixing. We got what he called “Qmixes” (?) of the songs yesterday, and while it sounds good already, you can hear there is still a lot of stuff to be done. I saw him (quickly) apply a Chris Lord-Alge plugin on the bass track (I guess just to show some options), but that needs to be tuned some more (see, I am getting “picky” :grin:)

I will let you guys hear the Qmix vs the final mix when we get there!

2 Likes

(sorry @joergkutter I didn’t took the time to read your big first post on this thread :sweat_smile: )

3 Likes

Completely understandable, not to worry, Laurent! I was more referring to your big help in the original thread about how to prep for the studio!!!

4 Likes

yeah I understood :slight_smile: just saying that I plan to read this new thread but I didn’t for now :grin:

3 Likes

We want day 3!!

3 Likes

Haha, me too! But, that’ll be another few weeks… :smile:

2 Likes

I’m stalking you now, Joerg! :rofl:

I knew you would have probably written about some of your experiences in some detail, and it was worth finding. If it’s any consolation to me missing it on the first write up, it’s that I can revive the thread!

Your experience overall for a first time in a a studio sounds amazing - I’m glad you got a good sound guy too, that knew what he was doing. And I remember the one and only time I was in a studio a couple years ago, the whole tempo thing was problematic for us too, as well as some of the other stuff you brought up, like getting the bass to sound “right”. Anyway, probably worth a bump here, if anyone’s looking for some wisdom and insights into a topic like this.

3 Likes