Fake Ernie Ball Strings!

Yes and no I suppose… I’m chalking it up as a learning experience at this point. Plus it’s going to give me the opportunity to try a set of strings I’ve always wanted to try, the DR Black Beauties.

I came very close to buying a set of la Bella deep talking flats to try out. Just because I wanted to see what they would sound like on my very modern sounding Schecter.

Chris

1 Like

Eight inches! That’s about twenty centimeters, which seems like an awful lot. Any chance these strings are just too long for your bass? Remember they are super long scale strings, intended for 35 inch (and plus) scale basses.

2 Likes

According to Schecter’s web site they are the strings that came on it. Which is why I “bought” them because I liked them from day one. They are strung through the body so they need to be a little longer.

Chris

2 Likes

Well, those guys at Schecter probably know what strings they put on their basses :sweat_smile: Thing looks killer, by the way!

3 Likes

So the DR Black Beauties finally arrived after a USPS blunder and Sweetwater FedEx’ing me another set (gotta love Sweetwater). The new strings totally solved the issue I had with the EB’s. I may try the EB’s again at a later date, but I’m currently enjoying the black beauties. Plus USPS just found the missing package yesterday so I’m about to have an extra set on hand.

I’ve seen mixed reviews on the DR Black Beauties, mostly because of the feel of the coating or it coming off. But they sound good on the Schecter and the coating hasn’t been an issue as far as the “feel” of the strings. I don’t even notice it on my fretting hand, and only slightly on my plucking hand as first. 6 or songs deep I forgot all about them… they sound good…WIN! They feel like most other round wounds for the most part, I was expecting something totally different honestly.

We will have to wait and see how the coating holds up but I read somewhere they fixed the shedding issue some people reported, but time will tell there.

Chris

1 Like