Favorite nostalgia records?

Listening a lot to Lynyrd Skynyrd lately, as I discovered outstanding remastered/cleaned performances on youtube

These were the kind of bands I liked gigging with most (RnR cover bands back in the '90s)

But if I were to put my finger on one of the first albums that made me realize Bass (I was 14 at the time): Mark King’s Level 42, Lessons In Love was aired over and over a summer I spent on UK to learn English back in mid 80’s.

I guess the fact of the lead singer being the bass player, and specially King’s slap/machinegun style, a sound that wasn’t that widely known back then (let alone in Pop music!) made it stand out even more for me.

3 Likes

I got into Mark King around age 14 too! I had these low quality bootlegs from live shows I found on Limewire or something, I can’t even guess how many times I listened to them. A lot! Love his sound and how tight his rhythmic feel is. Like a funky metronome!

2 Likes

Like a train! :smile:

Solo + short King’s take on Good Times riff + Love Games:

Love how he connects with audience and teases it!

Impressed also how hard he bashes the Bass, remembers me to Flamenco Guitarists!

2 Likes

I love the hard hitting players. Drums, bass… there’s a time for feel and dynamics, and a time for brutal-smashings… ahhh… so sweet to see and hear.

3 Likes

Louis Johnson beats the crap out of his bass like that too. His nickname was Thunder Thumbs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Damn.
Maybe the coolest bass nickname ever?
Any other ones?
The bassist from Brick was just called Fudge… that’s pretty… cool?
Bass nicknames are rad.

2 Likes

That should have it’s own header!

1 Like

I thought this thread could do with being brought back - just for the sake of nostalgia. :grinning:

I’m terrible for getting nostalgic when I watch the Top Of The Pops reruns/compilations for the mid 80s, but for really yanking me right back to the moment, Stanley Clarke’s School Days is the one. I wasn’t very sophisticated when it came to music and had hardly begun my bass journey (for the 1st time) but it was mesmerising - it still is - but it was also the sound track to some memorable days & nights hanging out with a good friend - she introduced me to a whole new world.

I wish I had picked something easier to play. :wink:

4 Likes