Favorite song you've learned in this course?

Mine is “Song For My Father”

6 Likes

So far, it’s been “Pride and Joy” by SRV.

4 Likes

“Billie Jean” . . . of course! :wink:

3 Likes

Don’t Stop Believin’ :slight_smile:

I won’t be satisfied until I can do this version though, and I am bad at tapping, so it will be a while.

7 Likes

I’ve just been through it again. It’s simple yet sounds like you know what you’re doing - no matter what else you’ve struggled with - and for me it was the first line I felt made me feel like a proper musician. I play it just on the neck with flat wound strings and the tone is so jazzy upright bass. That may add to why it’s one of my favourites. It was the first complete cover that I posted.

5 Likes

Song for my father for me too. It is in the same key as the original and it is great to play along with especially right at the end where the bass gets louder and louder and then ends.
Love it
Not in the course but Take Five is another great one to play along too

5 Likes

Yes, it is “simple”, but you need to execute it flawlessly from a rhythmical point of view, lest the groove stumbles…

Song for my Father has a special place in my musical heart, as it (so far) is the only piece I have played on the drums, the saxophone and the bass :smile:

6 Likes

I love playing along with Song For My Father and can’t wait to try Take Five

2 Likes

That’s a tough question, and I’ve gone through phases with liking different songs in B2B, but I’ll give my vote to Pretty Pink Ribbon by Cake.

4 Likes

I have a few fav’s but I guess Folsom Prison Blues would be on top because The more tumblers of Single Malt Scotch I drink, the better it gets to soundin’ when I play it!!:joy::tumbler_glass:

With all the other songs in the course (especially Billie Jean) they just get to soundin’ a whole lot worse… Go Figure…

Seriously though, I would probably vote along side @Jazzbass19 Joe for “Billie Jean” for the simple fact that the song was such a challenge to learn to play (and play right) at a key point during the course. As such, I play it as part of my regular practice/warm-up routine…

Keep on Thumpin’!

7 Likes

Papa’s Got A Brand New Bag, love the song and much fun to play and expriment with tonal options

3 Likes

I’m working on that right now, and more than any other song before it, I’ve struggled to make much progress without hearing the original song over & over at full seed while learning it.

I think that influences which songs we enjoy, doesn’t it? The joy of getting something right quickly or the satisfaction of overcoming a difficult section.

3 Likes

Probably, for me at least, the latter more than the former!

3 Likes

believe me once you got it under your fingers you cant stop, go slow, once you nailed the slow one the quicker once will be a breeze

2 Likes

A problem I always have with the slow routine is that I find it harder to count how many bars I’ve played - I much prefer hearing things at normal speed, even if I can’t play them that fast. It’s coming along though.

2 Likes

Second that @PeteP… One of the things I struggled with when I went through the course was trying to learn how to play the songs at slow speed. However, thats not saying that I never slow things down when trying to learn the best technique for me to use when playing a song.

I guess we all just learn things better at what ever speed that works best for us at the time…

3 Likes

UPDATE: Nailed Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag at normal speed. OK, so I’ve only played it a few times, and it’s far from perfect, but I remembered the notes and played them in the right order.

It’s quite funky tune and now in my top 5 on the course.

5 Likes

Oooh tough one… Billy Jean or Don’t stop Believing. I know nobody asked but my two favorite UG songs right now are Sailing by Christopher Cross and Phil Collins Easy lover. They are fun to play.

1 Like