Favorite tone woods (body)- and why

the woods play a role in the reactions too : resonnance, dynamics and sustain. my two favorite instruments (guitar and bass) happen to have both an ash body. it’s heavy but very “lively” in my opinion.

3 Likes

Who needs wood if you can have a guitar made out of concrete!

4 Likes

I think the biggest affect wood haas is on weight

2 Likes

I’m guessing there is zero neck dive in that thing. :grin:

4 Likes

It makes sense in that the mass and characteristics of the wood will feed back in to the strings’ vibration, yeah.

1 Like

If the wood an instrument was made of made no difference, then all marimbas would sound the same.

1 Like

A marimba is an acoustic instrument. I don’t think anyone here thinks the wood doesn’t matter with an acoustic instrument.

The age old argument is whether tone wood matters for an electric instrument.

3 Likes

Right. Literally the only thing that matters with an electric guitar or bass with normal (non-piezo) pickups is how the string vibrates and gets picked up by the pup, and then processed by the onboard electronics. Nothing else makes any difference.

So the tonewoods matter in as much as they affect that. And it makes sense that they do, the question is to what extent.

2 Likes

Electric instruments still have their own acoustic properties properties that electronic pickups will react to. I don’t think anyone is arguing that’s it’s the most important aspect of an instrument’s sound, but it definitely matters.

2 Likes

It’s definitely true. Like, the Yamaha TRBX504 and 604 sound slightly different despite being exactly the same except for the tonewoods. And they each sound “better” in different ways to me. So it for sure matters. I just kind of wonder how much :slight_smile:

3 Likes