Fear of failure/ first jam session

So since a few people at work know i try to play bass, one of the guys called the other day. His nephew has a garage/basement group and they need a bass player.
They describe themselves as as self taught, and not very good…yet they have all the equipment on hand and they get together regularly.
They asked me to come and join them this Sunday, and as much as I’m skeert to get get laughed at-im thinking of going.
I got some social anxiety, and some issues with going outside. But the guy from work is going to go with me. so that helps because at least i know one person-so maybe less nervous sweating and inching toward the door while actively trying to achieve invisibility.
Probably the biggest issue here is maybe I’m out of my depth? I only been playing 9 months- never touched an instrument before unless i was Just moving it to vacuum there? And it seems like maybe keeping up us an issue? Nobody wants to look like a fool, and that’s a real possibility.

I simply can’t be the only one who’s had this. I don’t drink or do drugs, so the typical social lubricants of having a beer or smoking a joint aren’t in my Arsenal.
So if i go, I’m going to do what i do best and try to not get noticed much. Try to stay on the beat and in time, i guess.
I never actually thought I’d play anywhere other than a room by myself. It’s kinda unnerving.

15 Likes

Well in the immortal words of Greg Brady (I think), imagine the audience in their underpants.

6 Likes

This is really a GREAT idea for you, @autumnsdad1990

NO ONE is going to laugh at you, either. They’re all self taught. You’ve got a course under your belt! . . . :+1:

Great things could happen with this opportunity!

Cheers
Joe

9 Likes

Did the group give you any suggested tunes to start with? That never hurts.

2 Likes

No. Nothing yet. If i knew what they play, i could bassbot(:joy:) some of it. So, going in cold.

2 Likes

You know i love the bunch.

1 Like

an old friend asked me recently to play on one/some of his songs he wants to record. So I definitely feel you. He lives a good ways outside the city, too, so unless he sends me stems it’ll probably involve me driving out there with my “minirig” (pedalboard and Phil Jones combo) for a weekend or something.

I try to think of it as “I’m a musician and jamming with other musicians is a good thing” XD

6 Likes

Better prep Beat It, My Sharona, and Number of the Beast just to be safe :rofl:

6 Likes

Strange to think of myself as a musician. I never thought i would be. This all started during the pandemic lockdown. My 50th was approaching and i asked myself what it was i ACTUALLY wanted to do that i hadn’t done. I actually thought it’d fail miserably and get it out of my system so i could just accept reality? meaning it was a kids dream and adults move on from those?

I never suspected I’d link into lessons with an amazing teacher that actually WANTS other people to know how to play. Or that there would be a forum like this where i could get answers and support.
Certainly never thought being invited to play would happen. I guess the hits Just keep on coming here at w-b-a-s-s

6 Likes

I’ve got the first two. Added wish you were here ( incubus), possum kingdom(toadies) square hammer( ghost) and a couple other little treats.
I got no idea that they play. So hopefully I’m at least able to keep up

3 Likes

This is what my bandmate and I do. Works great.

3 Likes

its all mental. Don’t go in with the idea to impress them. Accept that you might NOT be ‘good enough.’ You need ‘outcome independence.’ Just go and play and do you thing. Don’t put any weight, pressure, or expectation on yourself as to the outcome. I.e. look at it as you are just going to jam and have fun playing with others. DO your thing and whatever happens will happen.

5 Likes

This. What happens is just what happens.

5 Likes

What a bunch of really great people to actively try to help someone. Thank you all. It’s nice to know people actually think of others.

5 Likes

There’s no shame at all!

Take a notepad!

Ask for the chord progressions if you feel lost or if you don’t trust your ears (you might trust them, but under self-inflicted pressure it can be harder).
With the chords you have the tonics and the fifths (maybe the thirds if you feel adventurous), and with those and a rhythm you have a bass line to start with. Maybe you can try this exercise with published songs to which you don’t know the basslines to practice a bit.

It real is! And it boosts progress tenfold!

Even if the first time sucks, you will get something out of it and the next one will be better :wink: .

Most importantly… have fun! You’re making pieces of wood sing after all

3 Likes

Be Badass

You got this

4 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

I hope i do, on account it seems like it would be good. I got Nothing to lose, really. If it doesn’t work out, its not like i owe anyone anything. I can kindly Thank them for their time and just split.

Regardless of how it comes out, I’ll give it a try.when i think about how 9 months ago i couldn’t identify the string order and now can actually make a bass make the sound i want (occasionally, anyway.:grin:) it’s clear that all the practice and hurty fingers is worth it.

And i gotta admit playing by myself in my room is getting a little stagnant.

3 Likes

I can dig this. That’s a really great view, and thank you.

1 Like

Well they don’t know you either and are likely just as nervous. I have social anxiety too and you can over think these things. You’re all on the same blank page. Equal ground.

3 Likes