Fear of the 5th string! The Ibanez EHB1005SMS

Fodera has similar flat ramps on some of their bases.

I wouldn’t be too quick to blame the designer, sales/marketing are usually the ones who set the requirements for something. That’s not exactly a complex part… you’re talking 2 or 3 minutes extra to make it radiused vs flat and better integrate the design into the 2 pups. It was probably more expensive for tooling and/or injection molding and someone was like “eh, it’ll be fine, nobody cares about a bass ramp anyway”. I didn’t even know the EHB1005 had a ramp, i’ve never noticed one in any of the photos before :laughing: I don’t even think it’s that useful between the pickups, it’s better between the neck and neck pup.

On a GW bass you have a long way between the pup by the bridge and the neck (it’s about 120mm) so it makes a lot more sense.

1 Like

That’s really interesting - but that means that all those discussions about bass amps are kind of superfluous, right, as everything below 40-50Hz will not survive the mix anyway??!

I will revisit my EQ filters based on your infos. Thanks!!!

EDIT @howard - you don’t happen to have a target curve I can use in REW?

Just read this article: Bass Guitar EQ Guide to Perfect it Every Time - Music Guy Mixing

Interesting!

In terms of recording amps are superfluous full stop. No reason to use one for recording, and in fact if you do, it is much less convenient.

I don’t have a canned EQ curve; it’s not hard so I just do it every time based on the mix.

2 Likes

images (5)

2 Likes

BREAKING NEWS

After having tested and rejected the Ibanez EHB1005SMS and the Ibanez TMB35 Talman, I have now decided for a Sire Marcus Miller U5 - the V2/2023 version, that is only available in “mint”.
My girlfriend complained that the colour is not very heterosexual, but hey, I’m woke so I don’t care about the sexuality of my bass. It can pee sitting or standing up - that’s none of my business :slight_smile:

Also I like the colour because it reminds me of my favourite TV commercial of all time:

It’s a bad copy from a Dutch 80s commercial, but the “Minti-minti-mint” always gets me to ROFL hard!

If I had to name my bass (which I don’t), it would be “Minti” (with a Russian accent!).

Also, I had some good discussions with @Wombat-metal about the other remaining alternative, the Squier Paranormal Rascal. I do love humbuckers … a lot!
I like the “British Racing Green” version, because: Jaguar (the car)!

Fortunately you cannot get that in Europe currently, so I had some time to think, rethink and think again.
The Rascal makes no sense to me, as the geometry of the bass contradicts the idea of a short scale, except for tonality. And boy, does the Rascal sound great!
But for me, size is important: smaller is better (only for basses ^^).

Still thinking about getting something cheap with Humbuckers though, but that’s another story…

1 Like

@chris_van_hoven

Here’s one I thought of, which you should be able to get in Europe.

Vintage VS4

Humbuckers. 30". Not by Gibson

1 Like

Maaaan! Just yesterday I talked to a local shop, about 1000m (that’s about 3.14 trillion inch-ounce-gallons in US metrics :-)) from my home!
They have it. For 389€.
The sun is shining, I have no plans for today … might take a stroll to that shop today :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let me know what you think. I kinda like the looks and vibe but would have to order blind no one has them around here.

1 Like

I love the looks! It’s blood red, it has little devil horns. The Humbuckers say: “Yeah, I’m a Humbucker, dude!”.

Can’t wait to play it!

EDIT

1 Like

If you want really small short scale basses and are maybe a bit of a weeb, you could check out the ESP “BanG Dream!” signature basses from the anime.

I’ve seen them in person, high end stores carry them. They are tiny and adorable and I am sure quite high quality. 28" scale:

34":

Your image if you own one:

This is easily the most brilliant marketing maneuver I have ever seen though. Make an anime about high school/college girl bands with unfortunately suggestive names, with a tie in to a real instrument manufacturer. Then make the characters instruments in real life and sell them for lots of money. Then stage real life concerts with the anime bands, played by the voice actors from the anime made up to look like their characters. Feed the real life events back in to the anime plot. It’s like a constant commercial for ESP.

6 Likes

I kinda like the Grass Roots version

3 Likes

Now I’m selling/sold my ESP long scale, I discovered how much I love ESP.
So an ESP short scale would be great. But you can’t get that one in Germany.
And having the Vintage around the corner is kind of convincing…

Hey, that has a different bridge from the one in the video. Suits me better as I could replace it with a Fender Highmass. Or even try to mod it for string through? Hmmm…

1 Like

The minis are likely smaller than your travel bass. They are tiny, even smaller than the Fender Junior line.

1 Like

Grass Roots is an ESP company, different bass entirely

1 Like

I just realized you might not know about the MIJ Fender Juniors. 30" scale versions of their standard instruments, for example:

Many more colors too.

2 Likes

30" single coil (50) P I would be there, Split P a contender

No luck in Germany!

Pretty sure the only bass they do is the J. They do three guitars though (in 24").

it’s Japan only