Fender Custom Shop

Surely the only market is to collectors? Someone who actually wanted to play his basses is never going to buy that and nor is an investor. There are surer investment opportunities out there than Rickenbacker basses.

3 Likes

The funny thing there too is that if I wanted collectivity or exclusivity, Fender’s custom shop would not be my first choice.

At minimum you have places like Warwick, where they do custom runs of 1 :slightly_smiling_face:

Serious there, if you buy a custom shop Warwick, for the same price as a CS Fender, you can have a bass that there is only one of that style/color combo/etc. There will not be another bass that looks like it. And it will hold its value. They’ll even make you a movie of it being made to show you the handiwork.

And that’s the minimum. For $5-10k you could get a serious boutique bass from small manufacturers.

Ironically I would rather have a Fender. But exclusivity is kind of the opposite reason I would want one.

3 Likes

the Fender CS can do that too … it might be a bit pricey but they do that :grin:

3 Likes

Hey!
Basically, high-quality tunning machines will help you to keep your instrument in tune, and make the setup tunning process easier.
There are other factors (like wood seasoning, weather, strings, etc) that could also affect it, but, the more you can reduce the impact, the cleanwe your sound would be.

3 Likes

Spec basses, or design your own.
I would imagine you are in the +$10K range

2 Likes

As I mentioned in my previous comment, I didn’t heard the same level of praise about Fender, compared to what you hear from other boutique basses.

There are improvements (ie: none of my friends have a humming noise on CS Fender), but regardless the retail value, what matters for you if those things that a CS Fender can bring to the table add value to you, and if that value worth the money investment.

In my case, i’ll go for other alternatives, without doubt.
But that’s the magic about free will, other people could love the sound and additional details on a CS Fender, and that’s also ok.

2 Likes

I lucked out with my new bass. After I bought it, I found out that it is a one of a kind. It was made right around the time they closed down the Japan workshop of Sadowsky, so I think they just stopped making them when they heard the news. They made 38 in total, but mine is the only pink one. I think I made a great investment choice, but more importantly, I absolutely love playing it.

8 Likes

That’s what I was hoping to hear, @JT . . :slight_smile: . . a great investment and something you can use and enjoy every day! . . . :+1:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

As someone who lived in Scotland and loves a good single malt. Johnny Walker is really good for getting brake dust off alloy wheels. That’s about it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Alcohols are divided into two categories: good and very good. JW is obviously only a good one :smiley:

3 Likes

I think I’d probably go the Sandberg route if wanting to specify things and getting good value. I liked watching his tour of the factory. It looks like they really have it dialed in between what machines do well and what people do well with real QA checks.

7 Likes

I’ve spent a lot of time in their online configurator over the past few years. It’s pretty awesome. Very tempting though, but I guess that’s the idea!

For anyone that doesn’t know about it:

https://configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/

6 Likes

… and that’s not even the custom basses :sweat_smile:
I think you can contact them for special requests like color, pups…

6 Likes

Framus & Warwick just made this custom for Wolf Hoffmann (ACCEPT). Don’t know the band and I understand I’m sharing a guitar blasphemy! but this custom is pretty sick if you ask me. The dots on the fretboard even have lights.

2 Likes

I can’t really recommend Accept … :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You made me curious… Balls to the wall. I actually know that song lol :laughing:

2 Likes

Reminds me of junior high school.

2 Likes

I like them… Lots of fun to see live :grin:

1 Like

Saw them, they warmed up for KISS years ago.

1 Like

Old thread, but I’ve enjoyed it and thought to add. I recently acquired a CS Jazz 60’ NOS and am really impressed. I have a Mexican and American Jazz, along with a Fodera and an Olinto. The CS stands on par with the latter two, for less money. (The Olinto and Fodera are also incredible and unique in their own ways.) Got the CS for $3,200 plus tax, and it was well worth it to me!