Fender Precisions

I’m kind of amazed how fast I went to first appreciating and now kind of preferring the P’s 42mm modern C neck profile. It actually feels better to me now than 38mm necks.

Also still love the 40mm neck on my SBV but gotta say, there’s just something awesome about how a P-bass neck feels.

5 Likes

I wonder if it’s a thing that becomes easier as you gain experience?
I always stayed away from wider necks when I started this journey but now I must admit a P bass neck doesn’t feel half bad

4 Likes

When I started I preferred the 38mm of the jazz, then I loved the 40mm of my stream, but now the 42mm of the p bass and the c neck are so comfortable. Is it fast? Nope but lends itself to the pocket for some reason

3 Likes

Actually I am not having a speed problem on it either.

42mm Modern C is pretty middle of the road for P necks. I think it’s a nice compromise - chunky and substantial but not too much of a handful.

5 Likes

I love the neck on my pbass, even with my stubby fingers :smiley: the neck on my jazz bass feels so small! The only time I like the smaller neck is when I’m playing something with a lot of hammer ons and pull offs.

1 Like

Never had troubles with shape. Satin vs gloss is a different story. I like the looks of gloss and the playability of satin.

Sliding fast on gloss is out of the question. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Oh yes, satin is my preference by far too.

4 Likes

Only the matter of time you’ll be loving the 43mm of the stingray, lol.

6 Likes

@Al1885, as you have both, how does a StingRay neck feel to you compared to a classic Fender (vintage, not Modern C) P neck? How about a vintage Fender P and a Cutlass?

4 Likes

Wider Stingray takes a little getting used to but once you do you crave that extra spacing and feel. There are times you want a sports car feel of a narrower Jazz profile neck and sometimes the comfortable SUV feel of a stingray. P bass would fall somewhere in between like a family sedan, lol.

2 things about Fender vintage neck. One, it’s thicker and two, it has tighter radius usually starts at 7.25* compare to the modern C neck around 11*-13*, not to mention the Febder American Dimension compound radius. Again it depends. I like the modern feel especially the high end fender ultra but there’s no substitution for a true vintage feel.

On to the bread and butter of your question, the cutlass definitely feels better especially with the satin-poly finish. It feels very smooth the neck pocket carving feels really nice when handling the bass. 9* radius feels about right on this bass too.

Cutlass feels like a vintage instrument that get some modern treatments but still maintain the classic p bass feel. Compare that to the Sandberg California which feel altogether very modern with the oval tuners it looks an feel different than a “p bass”.

Since I don’t own any custom shop Fender or a master build one take it with a grain of salt. MusicMan basses feel like they are made, and Fender basses feel like they are assembled. That’s my 4 cents.

Edit: I don’t know about you but I would not put flats on the Cutlass. It seems to do much better with rounds, although I put TI Jazz flats on my Caprice and it’s doing very well, but TI Jazz is a different bread altogether.

Sorry for the long post, lol.

5 Likes

I agree with this statement! For the few days I had the damaged Stingray Special 4H before shipping it back, the first thing I noticed was the superior quality an feel compared to the Fender (and I love my P bass). You hit it right in the head with your analogy!

I don’t know about a Cutlass, but the consensus on Talkbass is that a Stingray calls for rounds, and specifically Slinky’s.

5 Likes

Thanks for your insights, @Al1885. You hit on several points that track with my experiences playing classic Fender Ps, Jazzes, and a Sandberg California. They each definitely have very different necks, feels, and “speeds.”

Same with Music Man builds.

The Cutlass has a 41.3mm nut width and a 7.5” radius, so it’s narrower than a classic Fender P, but shares the same fingerboard radius.

Lastly, no worries about putting flats on the Cutlass: I’m not a flats guy. I’ve played guitar for so long that the feel and sound of rounds are home base for me. :house_with_garden:

4 Likes

I put flats on my E serie Squier MIJ Stratocaster and I love it, but in general I just like rounds on bass. Flats on bass seems to have a bit of overtones especially at lower volume. I was playing my paranormal 54’ Jazz(Flats) with my 51’ p bass(rounds) late last night back to back. Most time I play with fuller volume it doesn’t show up as much.

4 Likes

Which stingray special did you get?

3 Likes

It was one of the new 18V Stingray Special 4H with Ebony fretboard.
It sounded and played freaking awesome, but had damage to the neck.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. I never put flats on any guitar I’ve owned. I’ve always gone for bright twanginess. :guitar:

4 Likes

I just swapped my Lakland 55-02 with flats over to rounds and so happy about it. Couldn’t do Boomers as the XL length so put Labella RX nickels and they sound so good.

2 Likes

The 55-02 is a fine bass. Lots of great tones possible. I bet it loves the rounds.

3 Likes

I don’t use picks so most of my playing is finger style and even when I learn solo piece. It’s smooth and warm. It was my excuse to use anything to lessen the finger pain, lol. I like it not very bendy but I don’t know what I don’t know, so it’s ok either way.

4 Likes

Ah, I get it. :+1:

2 Likes