Filling the post B2B VOID!?!?

Ok, well for those who are interested, here is what is offered, for $19.99 per month, stop and re start membership anytime.

Here are the courses. After I will show what is in the only one I have done so far, Technique.
There is a lot of lessons, equaling a ton of finder excercises that I have found FUN, Challenging, and excellent for strength, dexterity and helpful with technique.
Anyway, here goes.
Again, NOT josh.
But I have gotten as much, if not more from him then Mark, for less out of pocket green.

TECHNIQUE COURSE

4 Likes

Everyone should find a way to learn bass in a manner they can enjoy and relate to the instructor. More importantly, get something out of it and know that you are a better bass player after taking the course than you were before. That’s the most important thing. The cost is insignificant if you are getting value for your money.

6 Likes

This is very true. I don’t find the money spent important, unless you pay for something and find it was useless. I like the ability to spend an insignificant amount like $20 to see if it’s something I like, or pat for something that has a money back guarantee, like B2B. Even SBL 14 day trial, and Talk bass free 5 lessons.
Also YT to get an idea of what you get.

There is the bass wizard, he seems ok, but not sure of what his paid for material is, and there is not much way to test it out, like there is for $20 on Low End U. Bottom line, there alr many options, and many styles to match the variety in students… I am sure everybody has their own favorites, different then mine.

I am only certain that. We ALL agree that @JoshFossgreen is on the top of all of our lists.

My short list goes
BassBuzz
Low End U
Talkingbass
SBL
And going to try the free study bass as well

I am sure the bass wizard has good stuff, I just don’t know if I will need it after doing all the other stuff out there.

Plus there is still much value on YT, tons of it, it’s just not so organized, and harder for me to stay focused.

3 Likes

I’ve never tried Talk Bass, I just know there are a lot of arguments on their Facebook page, so I stay away from them.

Bass Wizard has some good YouTube videos out there, but like you I don’t know how much value there is in his paid material.

SBL is okay… Scott is a good bass player and very knowledgeable, but as everyone else has stated, spends too much time jabbering when all you really want is a lesson.

My short list is:

I don’t need anything else, other than my own dedication and practice.

4 Likes

Well spoken, @PamPurrs . . . I couldn’t have expressed that any better :wink:

All best, and please give your cute doggie a pat for me! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Cheers, Joe

EDIT: I meant cute “groupie” . . . :wink:

5 Likes

Correction.

I meant Talking Bass with Mark.

NOT TALK BASS

4 Likes

I lost track of time and ended up playing for about 4 hours today and well…

8 Likes

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new bad assess, your Royal Bad Ass!!!

:tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

4 Likes

Private lessons folks.
Fills the gaps, helps set goals, and timelines (between lessons) helps you sort thru the OVERWHELMING world of what’s out there on YT, amazon books, which things are important for your specific goals, and setting those goals if you just don’t know. I started lessons 2 weeks ago, and have my 2nd lesson on Tuesday, and I feel, no I am certain this has been my most productive 2 weeks on bass since going thru B2B.
I know all my weeks to come will be great as well with the teaching and guidance, coaching from a really good teacher.
I highly recommend private lessons, to fill the void, or for now, just til the next course, picking up after, whatever. Even at once a month, it can help your month be a stronger, structured learning month for sure.
So grab a good teacher. I know you guy,ay be biased but I got the best teacher, I am sure there are lots of great ones out there, who knows, maybe even mine.

Also, in case you do not know, on @JoshFossgreen website, he has 3 ebooks you can purchase cheap, and I am only theu chapter 3 of the first book on scales, it is a great book. And you know the teaching style already, it transfers pretty well to paper (text) also, so check those out, that’s another way to fill the void, Learn your fretboard thru scales and arpeggios and 5he excercises and lessons in those books.

6 Likes
    There’s nothing quite like being in the room with your instructor as they watch you play to make you:
    1.) sweat profusely
    2.) play worse than you’ve ever played before
    3.) get you the feedback you need immediately on where you can improve
9 Likes

Well,…
Um…I am in the same room with my bass, amp, and IPad, connected to Josh thru Skype.

But seriously, he may well have been here. I was just playing, and he said, “ I think you need to cut one of your fingernails on your right hand”, and sure enuf, I was looking for my clippers that morning and couldn’t find them.
As those were in the room…
So…
Skype works too,

Lots of places have adopted online lessons. Possibly because that’s how they had to get by during Covid? Or it was coming anywhere.
Guitar Center advertises them on the home screen of the website and app.

Many other sources too. I see them for as low as $20 per hour on apps like Offer Up and Let Go.

Now, how to pick a teacher, and can you pick one that could do more damage then playing and learning on your own. What to look for in a teacher, what to ask perspective teachers?

I do not know, I will leave those questions to be answered by those that teach, @JoshFossgreen, @Gio, anybody else who teaches, or takes lessons can chime in on their selection process.

I am curious what you would get out of online lessons from GC??
Think they are good?

7 Likes

Are you doing lessons virtually right now? If so, what is it like? Is your teacher able to get a good look at your technique via video and a good idea of your sound via microphone? I’ve been considering this myself.

5 Likes

Should have read that more carefully, I think my questions were already answered actually.

4 Likes

Its Ok. I can still answer the question.
Yes, I do lessons on Zoom with @JoshFossgreen. He is as amazing in person, (on Zoom) as he was in the B2B, if not more so.
and yes,
absolutely, he can pick up even the smallest details, like if one finger on my plucking hand has a nail longer than the other. He can easily hear if I mis play a note in a scale, and on the other end, I can see and hear him when he is playing lessons so I can see what I need to be doing.

If you are considering it, and are serious about it, I would highly recommend going for it, at least one lesson, or one series of lessons, if they are sold in a pack. it is not only money well spent, it is time well spent, time that extends thru every second you are practicing and playing between lessons.
you KNOW the materials you are using to learn, are the ones that will benefit you most per your current level of playing, to continually get you to the next level, and the next and the next…

8 Likes

Yeah if I get blocked on something, I am absolutely going to try to grab Josh or Gio on skype or something. Will be totally worth the price.

5 Likes

I go to my bass coach’s studio every Monday for an hour. It’s a 33 mile drive for me, but worth it. I am getting so much more from my one-on-one sessions than I could possibly get from online lessons. The best part is he is right there watching and listening to me, and catches my errors immediately, then gives me instantaneous corrective advice.
I tried one Zoom lesson with him just to eliminate the long drive, but it just wasn’t the same.

5 Likes

Yeah, of course, if you have the option to do live vs Zoom with the same teacher, live would be the way to go. But if Zoom is the only way you can work with your teacher, it beats not working with one.
Of course, I could find a teacher within driving distance, but it is just not the same teacher.

4 Likes

I am surprised their hasn’t been more activity on this thread in the last year.

Here is another site worth checking out, with an easy going teacher,

3 Likes

Luke is good, and I’m on his mailing list, but there’s something about him that grates on my nerves. I know, it’s just me, but I’ve not been able to bring myself to sign up for any of his courses.

4 Likes

I’m not there yet but I am starting to make a plan because nobody is like Josh. As I said in a previous post SBL feels flexy and vague.
So. I got my Ari Caps’ Music theory for bassists and I will get Josh’s two eBooks soon.
Along with that I think that since I am not very inspired by funk I might not really slap but I really enjoy tapping. So if I am finished with the B2B I will start shifting there.
But since I am halfway my course I don’t know how it will work for me.
Many suggested talkingbass’ bundles but I’m suffering with ADHD and I need quick and bite sized lessons instead of Ted talks so I don’t know if these courses would work for me. Shrug

2 Likes