Flatwound Strings

Share how you like them please. I put rounds on my Kala Hutch Hutchinson UBass but couldn’t get the action low enough. Ended to switching to thunder red.

I put Kala flats on my Hadeen ubass (a Kala clone), and I definitely like them better than the poly/rubber strings. But you are not wrong about the action being higher than I would like.

2 Likes

Yeah my first instinct was to get the familiar feel when I got my uBass but once I’m used to the poly strings they are pretty awesome definitely a lot of character.

1 Like

Same here, gives another tonal dimension. Not doing any shredding on them, but they serve their purpose.

1 Like

Ok this may be my inexperience talking, but I can’t help thinking that surely the amount of difference EQ pedals can make, boosting frequencies as the player wants, plus all the host of other limitless pedal effects we can add, is a bigger difference than between string types ultimately?

I would say play what you like the feel of.

2 Likes

I’ve always been a massive flat wound fan but put a set of D’addario EXL170 BT strings on my thumb last night.
Big difference in feel from the flats but I’m enjoying the difference in the change of the tone a lot.
The only thing I would change would be a lighter gauge in string but as I ordered the wrong ones that was my fault :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Dude from MxPx and Goldfinger uses Ernie Ball Cobalt flats. I do as well. Brightest flats around.

3 Likes

I read about them somewhere else @Old_WannaBe . I might give them a go next time I replace a set of strings

Yes…BUT…your strings are the foundation of your tone. And there are some tonal characters that flats/rounds cannot give that the other does…IF that character is important to you. You can bring them closer (or much further for that matter) with effects, but you cannot shape something that isn’t there to begin with.

3 Likes

You can pretty easily EQ rounds to sound like flats but I’m betting it’s more difficult to go the other way - you would need to add tone that’s not there in the original.

4 Likes

That’s where the tone pedal cones in. There’s a pedal for everything!

3 Likes

Nice. Lots of tone. And, apparently, VD.

3 Likes

:scream::scream::scream:

Penicillin is the cure I’m told

3 Likes

Apparently these stand for Volume and Drive.
https://www.analogman.com/kingtone.htm

3 Likes

I wonder how much tone you get if you hook a King of Tone to a Tone King???

I’d be more inclined to use an original Boss Tone bender pedal to shape it. Plus it’s a steal at only $1500 for the pedal, pretty much giving it away.

2 Likes

The fact that people pay huge for OG boss pedals makes me wish I had kept some. I should find out if my bandmate still has any of them.

Sure, they are Waza Craft too, but still. For $1500 I’ll take the Quad Cortex instead, thanks.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s mad money. Pretty much my main logic for buying the HX Stomp was the ability to try (albeit models) all sorts of different amps and cabinets to see what I like. I’ve just tried about 10 different cabinet sims this evening, trying to find the tone I want for my next cover. That would be thousands of dollars, if I bought them all. Plus where would I put them.
Aren’t we lucky to be here right now with this all at the click of a mouse!

3 Likes

Yep, things are so so good now compared to the old days. Can’t believe how inexpensive it is to get a world of stuff.

1 Like

We livin’ in da future!

1 Like