Focusrite 2nd vs 3rd Gen and others - help please

The 1/4" inputs let you run hotter than the XLR inputs. You can use an XLR to TRS cable.

These inputs 7/8 seem to take the hottest levels, but they kind of contradict themselves in this paragraph . . .

This is a very typical Hi-Z impedance. the roland seems pretty low actually, I had not seen less than 1MĪ© Hi-Z before. Should be fine though.

Do you know if there is a standard for XLR line level, or even a typical range, for DI outs usually carrying an instrument signal? I am almost certain it would be instrument level or consumer line level but I have never seen a reference. Otherwise passive DIā€™s wouldnā€™t work.

Pro line level is +0 to +4dBV IIRC. Not 100% sure that directly maps to dBu but ISTR itā€™s close.

I didnā€™t look them all up, but if they are hot you can just turn them down on the output of the device (assuming thatā€™s possible). The VT Bass DI is 0dB out, so you could run it into XLR 7/8.

From the VT manual:

From the Roland manual:

Ah, I can also flip the little switch to -20Db and not worry.

Darkglass says thisā€¦
Balanced XLR output for connecting the pedal to a microphone preamp, PA system etc.
So assuming its fine.

DIs are traditionally at mic level as they started passive. Thereā€™s nothing stopping a particular design from having more gain. Bass pedals with DI outputs are a good example and thereā€™s no standard.

Yes, the only reason to run a hotter output is to have greater signal to noise ratio. If you donā€™t have noise, you donā€™t have a problem.

Itā€™s probably fine, but same answer. If itā€™s too hot try it on input 7/8.

Good to know, thanks!

Yeah that was my understanding and fear as well.

0 dBV = 1 Volt
0 dBu = 0.775 Volts (RMS value of 1 volt sine wave)

Pro audio levels are usually given in dBu. +4dB line out is usually +4dBu or 1.228 volts or 1.8 dBV

Consumer levels are usually given in dBV. -10dBV is 0.32 Volt or -7.8 dBu

Microphone levels are usually given as sensitivities as mV / Pascal or dBV / Pascal. Worst case mics could need 60 dB of gain. Gain is unitless.

Yep. When evaluating mic preamps usually you see a tradeoff between the noise floor and the gain range. And once you factor in that huge gain needed for some mics, that -120dB noise floor doesnā€™t look so good. And so, thereā€™s a lot of agonizing about -128dB vs (say) -131dB for the noise floor, which is actually a large difference.

1 Like